Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
MPSAN

Default Jt65-hf

Just a quick note about JT65-HF. I wanted to see what this was about. It seems that 20 watts is considered high power and that any antenna that will tune should work. however, I did not want to play with an interface just to test.

So, I brought my laptop near my TS940SAT and installed the JT65HF software (free). I then put a small PC mic on top of the rig. I had a 10m dipole that was way short. It was old and must have been cut as it was more like a 33 MHZ dipole. I hung it in my room in an "L" configuration. I tuned to 28.076 and heard Japan and other stations. Some I could not even hear. Later I tried 21.076 and 14.076.

So, I got a 2nd Mic (actually my Rigs Mic) and put it near the Laptop speaker. I called CQ and a JA came back. I also worked KL8DX in Denali Nat'l Park.

If you try this your PC clock has to be correct. Windows was OK, but I got Dimension 4 (also free) and all is good. With low power and almost any antenna this could be a lot of fun in an RV!

I hope some of you can give this a try. Ask any questions and I will try to help.

'73,
Dave-W6TGE
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
W7PSK

Ive been running JT-65HF for over a year with a Signalink USB Interface. If anyone has questions let me know.
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7PSK View Post
Ive been running JT-65HF for over a year with a Signalink USB Interface. If anyone has questions let me know.
...and I see your call all the time on the receptions list. Although this is not a ragchew mode by any means, it is an addictive mode especially if you do not have any antenna and run very low power.

I sold our class B, so we are not RV'ing any more....for now.

P.S. I read your BIO on eHAM and we lived across 237 from Moffett Field!! I sure wish I could put up a Steppir!