Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
N4MU Papi

Default Hustler HF Mobile - Anyone still use them?

Looking for a mobile antenna setup. All ops will be stationary, not in motion. Antenna will be mounted behind cab of F-350. Almost bought ATAS-120A or Little Tarheel II but am leaning towards old technology. I don't mind changing resonators, have used Hustler in the [ancient] past. To me: simple, less expensive and no moving parts. What are "today's Hams" comments? Just getting back into this after 20 years off air. BTW, rig will be Yaesu FT-450D. Thanks for opinions...to this OOM!

“I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.” - Carl Sagan
N4MU Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
N3LYT

I have been less than impressed especially at 20 meters and lower. Your results may vary. I have nothing but good to say about a Lil Tarheel mine fell in the street at speed from a broken Jet Stream/Workman mount (don't even consider one they are cast brass) other than asphalt rash it still works fine. No matter where I go with it,it will tune flat from 6 to 80 meters and I have at least 50 countries mobile. I have heard that the Yeasu screw drivers still suffer from water leakage from a few people. Screw driver are not cheap but I would never go back to the sticks I have two or three here at the house you are welcome to maybe you could have better luck the 20 meter one will not tune the second 10 meter one did work but the first one was open circuit from the factory called them up they sent me a new one i asked what they wanted to do with the other one he said "throw it away".
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
megahurst

Default Hustler Mobile Antenna

I have a set I use from RV. I have it mounted on a tripod. Grounded by several short steel stakes which are wired to the tripod, and making sure the radio is grounded, I have good results on all bands. been thinking about ordering coils for 12, 17 and 30.

I use a five way adaptor in order to have some band options. Using a good SWR bridge makes setup much easier.

I am designing a 'platform' which will hold all the coils vertically. Hope to get it done this winter.

I have the fold-over mast however I have modified it so as to pull a pin and break in down into two pieces. This enables me to store the mast and all coils and whips in a 4" pvc pipe about 3 ft.
megahurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
W5DOK
Old Member

I like simple. I can have my Tarheel operational in under 15 minutes with no radials, ground rods, coils or any other additional equipment. Just attach it to the rear ladder, run the coax and I'm on the air. Not exactly a 7 element yagi, but ok for portable, on the go operation and it satisfies my ham habit.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Hustler used to be pretty good in the 1980s. I used them then with acceptable results. In recent decades I've heard Hustler's quality control is about like MFJ's -- which I've heard is dismal. But I cannot attest personally to any of those negative reports, though I've read and heard them many times and places.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
W5DOK
Old Member

My last experience with Hustler was not good. The coil opened up and cooked the finals on my radio. I then learned that was a common problem and I've never owned another Hustler product. My experience with MFJ is that their quality is hit or miss. It can either be very good or terrible. I always check all of the solder joints and connections on any MFJ product before use. I've seen some pretty sloppy workmanship on their stuff, usually in the form of cold solder joints. On the other hand, I've had some of their products that the quality was superb. Go figure.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #7
N3LYT

The one I had that did not work I cut the plastic off and the wire was transformer wire the solder join was was pretty much useless because the coating on the wire was never cleaned off stuck fine to the brass.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
w6aiy

I use the Hustler RM 20 most of the time as I like 20 meters. and get very good reports. I have also used Ham Sticks and like them but they are longer so most of the time I use the Hustler. I have the antenna mounted on the tool box in the back of my Chev 2500 HD so I did not have to drill holes in the cab.
w6aiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
Radio
Administrator

and welcome aboard to W6aiy

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
In recent decades I've heard Hustler's quality control is about like MFJ's -- which I've heard is dismal.
MFJ bought out one of the major antenna players. Was it Hustler? Or was it Cushcraft?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
N3LYT

MFJ I believe owns both. They seem to be making the antennas the same way they have all along just that the money goes to MFJ and they are now located in Mississippi.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Hustler used to be pretty good in the 1980s. I used them then with acceptable results. In recent decades I've heard Hustler's quality control is about like MFJ's -- which I've heard is dismal. But I cannot attest personally to any of those negative reports, though I've read and heard them many times and places.
I am not 100% on this but I believe Hustler's Quaility Control is identical to MFJ's now days.. (As in MFJ bought them)

I have no problems with MFJ products I have, however I do not have that many, Many of the folks I know have more, no QC issues I am aware of.

The watch I am wearing displays the correct time (MFJ) accurate to less than one second (Atomic) and the only problem I have had with it was deadus-batterius, eats about one a year.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #13
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

I have a Hustler on a ladder mount on the class "A" as a back-up antenna.
This is a 5 band configuration using a 6 inch square Alu. plate center drilled and the corners turned down at a 45 degree angle.
The 75 meter load secures the plate to the mast in the center with 40, 20 17, & 10 meter loads mounted on the 45 degree corners.
The whole thing sticks up a bit too high for mobile operation but works ok for stationary op's.
The only real complaint I have about the "HUSTLER" is that the load's are rather "narrow-banded" , but they do work and the tuner in the FT-450 will "stretch" the band width a good bit.

It does get some funny looks sometimes !
Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9WLS View Post
I have a Hustler on a ladder mount ... This is a 5 band configuration using a 6 inch square Alu. plate ...

It does get some funny looks sometimes !
Many years ago (1982 or so) I had one of those on a pickup. A Dallas cop pulled me over, and I had no idea what I'd done. Turned out he was a ham, and just wanted a close look at the antenna.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
N8WTT

Default Stationary vs Portable

I'm new to this site, but thought I would put my two cents into the hat. I always try to park my RV at a fence line, tree line or somewhere that foot traffic wont hinder the walker or my antenna. Its a 40 meter delta loop... triangle shape... 132 feet total length..... 28 ga wire... its center is held up with a 20 foot colapsable fishing rod.... the ends are brought back to the center, with the sides pulled out just taught enough to raise the bottom of the triangle about 3 feet off the ground.... the ends are connected to a 4 to 1 balun.... wire cost about three bucks (Dayton bargin), pole was 19.95 and balun was 27.00 (you could make your own for much less). Its resonate on 15 and 40, but my KX3 will tune it 10 thru 80 without any problems.... have talked the world QRP ssb. Gary N8WTT. http://www.n8wtt.com
N8WTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
WA6CDE

Wink

I used to use the hustler mobile whips for years... until I came across the high sierra 1800 Pro... it tunes DC to daylight all with one antenna..
As to the difference... the hustler low power resonators will get pretty warm with todays 100 watts of power... so much so that you cant put your hand on it after using it for a while... The only resonators I would buy today are the "S" series... and even then you won't get the whole band in under 2:1 for 40 meters... 75 only gets you about 50 kc... So instead of changing resonators I changed antennas.

Signal wise.. they both seemed the same according to reports when we tested both in a controlled environment. If you talk to K0BG, alan, he will tell you that the bigger center loaded coil gives you a better higher Q to work better... but I found that they don't get warm even using 500 watts mobile... and life got better because to change bands.. you don't have to get out of the car.... etc... To tune it I use a wavemeter for max signal.. (smile)

Good luck on your search for the perf antenna mobile... bigger is better so I have found in the shootouts...
WA6CDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #17
K4PYR

MFJ owns Cushcraft, Hy-Gain, Ameritron, Vectronics and Mirage. Agree that some of their products need better quality control - it is hit or miss a lot of the time. But when they work - they work pretty darn well.

K4PYR
K4PYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
fgeraci

Default Mobile antenna

Hi Hams
I have used a Diamond HV7 antenna for some years. It is a 2 mtr, 70 cm and 6 mtr antenna. Just add loading coil for fav band. This antenna is fantastic !! I regularly use it on 40 mtrs to check-in to ECARS. I get great sig reports. And, It is attached to the side of my "fiberglass" cab on my P.U truck. I used a big , wide piece of copper strap to bond it to the bed of the truck. I have, also, worked Canada, on 6 mtrs, during an opening. Good stuff.

Francis - WB1FXX
fgeraci is offline   Reply With Quote