Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
KE5NWT

Default Skywarn Recognition Day Nov 30-Dec 1

Beginning 6pm central Friday Nov.30 is the start of SKYWARN RECOGNITION DAY. See the web addresses listed below. The first is a email from my local NWS office in the Austin/ San Antionio Texas area. The second is a site for all the general information. This is a nationwide event. Get on the air and talk to some NWS offices starting Friday at 6pm central.

All,

This weekend the National Weather Service and the Amateur Radio Relay League will co-sponsor a special event to show why Amateur Radio, or 'Ham' Radio, is so critical to our NWS operations. The event is called a "Skywarn Recognition Day" and we have celebrated it at our office in New Braunfels every year for the past seven years. A national website with more details is located at: www.crh.noaa.gov/hamradio.

This event lasts 24-hours, from from 0000Z to 2400Z on December 1. That translates to be from 6 pm CST on November 30 until 6 pm on December 1. We modify the hours slightly so we can go home and get some sleep. We'll operate from 6 pm to 10 pm on November 30 and from 10 am to 5 pm on December 1. Everyone - including 'Hams', media and emergency planners are invited to visit and take part either day or both days.

Through this 24 hour period, 'Hams' gather from across our 33 counties at our NWS office in New Braunfels to demonstrate their amazing ability to communicate, both long range and mobile close range. They will make contacts with 'Hams' in other NWS Offices across the US as well as with 'Hams' at their rigs at home. They will also make contact across the world. In the past couple of years, we have reached more than 15 foreign countries, including 3 contacts near the Arctic Circle. Our call sign will be KD5UMW.

I'll have coffee and snacks to keep up our strength both Friday and Saturday. I'll also take a bunch of photos through the event. You can see some of the photos from last year's event on our website at: www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/skyrec06/skyrec06.htm.

We ask that you let us know if you plan to come by. Since we're a federal office, we have stronger security rules in effect now. E-mail notice would be just fine.

This is always a wonderful event. Some of the time we're operating radios and some of the time we're just telling stories and getting to know each other. This will be my last one. I'm taking this chance to say "good bye" to all the wonderful 'Hams' I've worked over the past decades.
For the past 35 years 'Hams' have served South Central Texas as Skywarn spotters frequently, reliably and unselfishly. We consider them the "eyes and ears" of the National Weather Service.

Larry

general info site is here
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/hamradio

Robert KE5NWT
KE5NWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Thumbs up Do This!

Yes, do this!

Here in Georgia our own WX4PTC station at the local NWS office in Peactree City will be on the air for the entire 24 hours. This is a cool event that I have worked (from WX4PTC) before.
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

Hey....... NewBraunfels, that's where I was born and raised. Still have lots of family there.

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
KE4DBY

Sounds like fun. I will give it a try!
Alinco 605E 2m/440 dualbander.
KE4DBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
jagco

The St. Louis and Suburban ARC will be holding a special event station at the STL NWS office, there, too, but doesn't show up on the NWS map. I'm not in that group, but heard it on their weekly net. I don't know what frequency they'll be on, or I'd let y'all know there's too. I've been away from radio for awhile, and just recently got the bug again, so this is the first I've heard of it.
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
N7OQ

Sounds like fun, bummer that we here in California really don't get bad weather.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
KE5NWT

Well I worked 12 NWS stations in just a few hours. Three in Texas, and the rest scattered out in the lower 48 states. The propagation was not very good that weekend, the bands were lousy. I wanted to work the Austin / San Antonio station but the didstance just wouldn't match up. To close for the conditions.
KE5NWT
Uvalde County, Texas
Old 12-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Radio
Administrator

Did you work Peachtree City, GA??

My ARES group and radio club share responsibility for staffing that one.

Radio
Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
KE5NWT

I'd have check my log at home but Peachtree City doesn't sound familiar, although I think I worked a Georgia station.
KE5NWT
Uvalde County, Texas
Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

You know though,, Peachtree does sound familiar to me.. Not sure if it's a 'Soundex" hit or a direct match w/o double checking log and that's on another machine not, at this time, accessable from here (I got to fix that one of these days)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:23 AM   #11
Radio
Administrator

Their call is WX4PTC...(weather for Peachtree City)

Skywarn Day was a pretty big deal for those guys.