Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #11
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
I think you will find that Flyer is right. My experience is that other campers won't enter your space uninvited, ever, for any reason. They typically are very respectful, though friendly, and you can safely leave things out overnight on the picnic table.

The only time anyone ever came into my space was when the guy in the next space knocked discreetly on my door to tell me it was raining and my car windows were open. Oh, yes, and once when the headlights were on. Campers watch out for each other, but they mind their own business.
True but kids are curious and adults too ground level stuff is too handy at least in mine line of thinking and if you are inside on the radio you have no ideal that they are there. I would feel pretty bad if I shocked the stuffing out of some one.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
I would feel pretty bad if I shocked the stuffing out of some one.
Naah, that'll teach'em to leave your antennas alone. Serve'em right.

More seriously, you have a point -- children are a concern, though I have found that even the children who show up in RV parks are well behaved and respectful of other people's rights. Don't want to give RF burns to any kids, especially nice ones. I'd rather throw all the radios in the dumpster than endanger a kid.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #13
N3LYT

Yeah and it kind of puts people off that thought ham radio looked like a lot of fun.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
electricflyer

Last year I had my Eagle One out in a open area for field day and put a sign on it saying, "Do not Touch, Can Cause RF Burns". The only thing about that is it is like putting a sign up saying "Do Not Touch - Wet Paint". It makes some people even more curious enough to want to find out what happens. Without anything to draw attention to the antenna they will just walk on by.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
Thuff

I use a buddipole with a flagpole buddy to hold the Mast. Depending on the band I can use a dipole or a vertical. This works QRP for me.
Thuff is offline   Reply With Quote