Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
coupevillefish

Default Yaesu FTM 450XDR, your thoughts?

Went to the Mike & Key Hamfest in Puyallup, Wa yesterday. Mostly junk but some good stuff.

As a result, I am looking at a Yaesu FTM 400XDR, 2m/70 cm, which could be moved between my truck and MH. It would be quite an upgrade from the FT60R that I now use for mobile (and my FT2900 base). It would be plug and play in the MH since it already has the power and antenna. The truck would require running power from the battery.

Anyone here have experience with this radio or the prior version? Any opinions?

Thanks
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
N3LYT

Nice radio our club has one and the hand held one as well thanks to Yeasu along with a Fusion repeater. We have been passing it around to club members and it has been given very high marks from the users and two of the members have since bought their own. The touch screen makes it nice for mobile use. It will link into any digital Fusion repeater for world wide communications. I can tell you this because I an the one that keep this stuff running the Yeasu repeater is two mobile radios in a box with an interface system and elaborate heat sinks for the PA we have had zero issues with the repeater and it is used twice a week for our nets at max output for hours at a time.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
coupevillefish

Thanks. Our club is installing the Fusion repeaters as well. That is part of the draw.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
N3LYT

Yeah we were given the first one by Yeasu it was a bata repeater we have since bought two more I have the old one at the house in case of a problem. We run both VHF and UHF from the same location both will be connected to the wires system the wires box can control two repeaters the ideal is to dedicate the UHF to the system and digital local communications and use the VHF for normal traffic. Our VHF system has been in the same location for over 30 years.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
coupevillefish

I ordered it today. It will be here tomorrow. It will definitely take a while to figure out all the capabilities.