Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default New young hams

I had a enlightening experience last Wednesday afternoon. I am a VE and was asked for help in administering license exams to a group of grade school students in Smyrna, GA. A math teacher at the school who is a new ham himself (Amateur Extra) prepared 7 students for the license exam in after school sessions. I don't know how much time they spent on studies. These kids were well mannered and a pleasure for me to have the experience. Before the test they asked if they could meet and greet each of the VE's and so one by one they came by each of us, told us their name and shook our hand and thanked each us for coming to give them the exam. I got to grade the first one done and what a surprise, she had a prefect score, 35 out of 35 right, I wasn't expecting it. Out of the 7, 2 passed the test and 2 were close at having 10 wrong, 9 is the max permitted. Very good at 10 years old. There was only 1 boy out of the 7 which was also impressive that 6 young girls could be interested in predominately male hobby. I hope I have more opportunities to do it again. It's always good to have young people get interested in the hobby to help keep it alive. So, congratulations to Melissa and Bernice for a job well done.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

A heartwarming event altogether. Thanks for sharing.