Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Stupid Drivers

There are a couple things that drivers don't do that make me wonder how they keep from being in an accident or causing an accident. With over 4.5 million miles looking out the windshield and no accidents I wonder how smart some of these people are.

#1. Not turning on headlights at twilight or rain (snow, fog). First, the Georgia law says headlights on during rains or any time you wipers are on. You can't be pulled over for the offense but if you're in a accident you can be ticketed then. Lights are also required to be turned on 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise (federal law). I think they feel they can see just fine during twilight so they don't need them on but the reason for turning the lights on is to be SEEN not to aid the ability to see traffic.

#2. Not using a turn signal! I have always been in the habit (if you want to call it that) of using a turn signal, even if there is no other traffic around. All 3 of my children do the same, I guess there were paying attention when they were riding around in the back seat. I've been driving for over 60 years and started when there were no turn signals. Hand signals were used and you had to roll down the window (before power windows) and stick you arm out in below zero weather, snow and rain so it took extra effort to signal a turn (or a stop). Thus I appreciate that little stick on the left side of my steering column. How many times have you been at a 4 way stop and had some jerk make a left turn in front of you just as you started to move ahead. I like to know what other drivers intensions are so I can act accordingly. I have tested some drivers behind me by watching to see if they use their turn signals making the same turns as I do. If they don't use a signal then after a few turns I make a turn without a signal and you know that really pisses them off.

#3. Seat belts. I have always used seat belts from the first car I owned that had them. Granted, lap belts weren't very effective but still saved a lot of lives. I just heard on the radio that an 11yo child died in an accident not wearing a seat belt as well as a driver not wearing a seat belt. The driver was not killed but that is probably because of an air bag but not working as well for a small person. How stupid is that.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

#4 Turning right into any lane but the right lane (unless there are two right-turn lanes)

#5 Turning left into any lane but the left lane (unless there or two left-turn lanes). Most drivers start left turns too soon, at the edge of the intersection instead of where they should (the edge of the lane they're turning into). Starting too soon makes it very difficult to end up in the correct lane.

#6 Not following the painted lines, if present, when turning left, especially when here are two left-turn lanes (this error is almost universal in Tallahassee)

#7 Tailgating

#8 Driving around with high beams

#9 Not having any clue about the meaning of the widest painted line across the road at an intersection

All of these are common in Tallahassee, a college town with many very inexperienced drivers (college children).

It's symptomatic of the obvious fact that most humans are somewhat mindless. More than half have IQs below 100. If the IQ curve were a perfect Gaussian distribution -- bell curve, that is -- then it would be exactly half; but there is a fairly large secondary peak at about IQ 30 to 35, mostly victims of congenital retardation. Anyway, more than half are below 100, and 100 is about the level at which people can learn to pump gas pretty well, or dig ditches, but can only just barely be taught to sack groceries. And they'll still put the canned soup on top of the eggs and bread.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Some folks here near Atlanta have the cutest trick of riding down the interstate with, say the right blinker on and the swerving wildly into the LEFT lane! Or vise versa.

Or just riding down the road with either signal on, while yacking away on the cell phone.

I think the most dangerous person on the road is a woman in a Range Rover. At least around here, anyway. I used to think that of redneck males in Thunderbirds, but I think they have wrecked them all by now. You don't see Thunderbirds on the road anymore.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I support Daytime Running Lights and though I have yet to find an after market model for the Dodge I drive now (Do not think it DRL's) I had one on my Chevy .. This was before GM started putting them on all cars.

Seat Belts.. The very first car I had.. I installed them (They did not come that was on cars that old) and I've used them ever sense. Child seats for infants and children too. I see kids bouncing around in the back seat and I think "What happens if the driver stands on the brakes.. Or worse yet crashes" the answer, as a retired police dispatcher. I've sent trooper too, far too many times.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

#10 Cell phone! How did we miss that?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
electricflyer

Carl covered a quite a few issues that I just left unsaid. Since there can be an unlimited number of stupid driver antics let me add just one more. Drivers that never move from the left lane on 4 (or more) highways. Going south on I-75 from Atlanta to parts unknown in Florida I have made better time in the right land than the left. There is no one in the right lane except for an occasional big rig. Drivers enter on the interstate and immediately go over to the left lane when there is absolutely no one in front of them in the right lane. What's wrong with that picture.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
TXiceman

My 2012 F350 has the lights come on any time I turn on the wipers. All cars should have this.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

YEs that headlingts on whenever in gear with engine running is Daytime Running Lights. Mandated in Canad many years ago GM responded by putting DRL's in all cars. Ford just in cars sold in Canada.. After a lot of pressuire, they now put 'em in everything. Do not know what Chrysler is doing now days biut My 2001. no DRL's yet.

Another thing.. Now as it happens, you, me and the man who just passed you doing 100 MPH are all going to the same place.. Our funerals.. Now where as I'm not in any big hurry, and I suspect you are not either.. HE IS.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

#11 People who arrive at an intersection to turn left and (properly) wait at the stop line until the light turns green, then (stupidly) stay at the stop line after it's green (instead of entering the intersection), until the opposite-direction traffic has all cleared. That's dumb. When the light is green but there is opposing traffic, they should enter the intersection, going dead straight, and wait in the middle of the intersection until opposing traffic clears. That way, every other driver, in all four directions, can see them and know their intention; and the actual turn will take about 1/3 as much time, so they won't need nearly as long a break in opposing traffic. They're not in anyone's way, they're not going to surprise anyone, and they can complete their turn after the opposing traffic clears or the light turns red, whichever occurs first; and they can complete that turn while the traffic from the left and right is getting in motion after their light turns green. Much safer and much more efficient.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #10
ke0me

Default #11 alternate a

However, I have seen many times where turning yellow means I better hurry up and get thru thru the light, even when they can easily stop.

They usually end up completing their mad dash on RED.

so, if I'm trying to make a left turn in front of those idiots, I better double check if the oncoming driver is trying to make the light or will stop let me turn left while it's still yellow.

otherwise, I either crash into them or start my left turn on the red light after waiting for the idiot to roar thru.

so, I usually just stay back at the wide white line and wait for clear traffic or the next left turn lite.

better safe than sorry.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0me View Post
... otherwise, I either crash into them or start my left turn on the red light after waiting for the idiot to roar thru
It is perfectly legal, and quite safe since you're visible, to exit the intersection after the light turns red, as long as you entered it while it was green. Of course you must be sure the oncoming guy is stopped, or wait until he has cleared.

If you do it as I describe, and some numskull in facing traffic runs the light, you wait as long as necessary. The crossing traffic sees you out there, and you have just saved them from being killed by the light-runner, who of course wasn't in their field of vision. The only one who can see him is you.

Do it your way, and instead of preventing the wreck, you get to watch the wreck. Maybe the light-runner will hit someone hard enough to knock him into you. Much more interesting, but I'll pass.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
electricflyer

Having driven in Germany I noticed that at intersections with traffic lights when the light is about to change from green to red and from red to green they go to amber in all directions. Thus when someone tends to run the light on amber there may also be someone going to jump the light going from red to green. Kind of makes you think twice about running an amber. I didn't drive in any of the other European countries I have been in so don't know where else they do that.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
Having driven in Germany I noticed that at intersections with traffic lights when the light is about to change from green to red and from red to green they go to amber in all directions.
Sehr interessant!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #14
Radio
Administrator

I was in the Netherlands on business awhile back. Our hosts would not let us drive, they taxied us around every where we went.

Good thing too, as in the old parts of town near the canals I could seldom determine where the road ended, the bike route began or where the sidewalk was supposed to be.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
... I could seldom determine where the road ended, the bike route began or where the sidewalk was supposed to be.
Yeah, I'm getting blind in my old age too.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
ke0me

Default night driving

I have determined that either the night is getting darker, my headlights don't work as well, or my cataracts are growing.

I just cant seem to see as far as I used to, I just try to keep it between those white lines I can still see.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote