Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
rockerbox

Default ...Another New Guy

I heard the CQ through the QRM and thought I'd answer the call. My name is Bill and have been a ham since '58 (novice). Upgraded to general in '63. Went to USAF pilot training in '61 and retired in '91 here in Alaska.

First "RV" was a two-door Studebaker Lark with separate tent (in PA). In '63 we got a VW Camper bus (Texas) followed in '67 and '70 with a couple of truck campers. Had a 29 foot Class A for 4 years, but made the drastic switch back to good old "back-packing" until yesterday. We now have a 22' '06 Winnie Chalet Class C on a Ford E350 chassis.

We are planning a road trip from Wasilla in a couple of weeks to the "Lower 48" to visit in-laws and "outlaws" in PA with stops along the way to check on old friends. I am installing two rigs for the trip: an HF station(706 with Tarheel II antenna) and a 2 meter rig.

One look under the hood of the E350 tells me I am going to have trouble routing cables into the cab. If any of you have any suggestions, please pass them along. I am not new to installing mobile rigs, but this 2006 engine compartment under the hood leaves little room for punching into the driver's position.

Happy to join the QSO and 73,

rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Welcome aboard Bill!
Bunch of nice folks here with a lot of info. I'm sure someone will be able to help with your power cable routing. Glad to have a Ham from up-country here, we expect some fabulous pictures from you soon. I spent a year in Alaska, however it wasn't on the mainland. I was with the USAF in 1968 to 1969 stationed on the beautiful and exotic island of Shemya. I'm sure you know where that is. Got to see Anchorage only a week at a time prossessing in and out. Was supposed to go to Indian River, but the orders were changed at the last moment. Good Old Uncle Sam!violin
My DW and I progressed through tents, pop-up, trailer and now a seasonal Park Model in NH.
Again, welcome aboard and have fun!
73 Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
TXiceman

When I started college, my car was a 1958 Stedebaker, Starlight Commander.

Welcome to the site...Hope eto hear you on the air.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
KF5BET

Welcome Bill..

I found a rubber grommet on the firewall on the passenger side behind the glove box area. snaked wire through there and then straight to the battery. Of course that was on a F250. Might try to find soething like that. I just kept feeding wire into the hole until it came out into the open where I could grab it.

But of course a van chassis is a monster unto itself...

Galen
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
One Country Boy

Good morning Bill. As Andy said, it's nice to have someone from up the country. I hope you will check in with us often and send pics. We all love pics. Photos of projects and your trips.

No need to echo the comment about nice folks on this forum. They are all good people.

Good luck with your install. I have an '08 F250. I've not installed radios yet. The interior is a bit crowded for installation. I do intend to eventually install a 2 meter rig.

Glad you joined us. Looking forward to your posts and participation.

Jim