Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Default Portable Heat

Hey, so on the first trip in early may we went to the coast and froze our buns off - and I bought a Coleman Perfect Flow compact catalytic heater - this is the very smallest one - 1,500 BTU's, supposed to run almost 16 hours on a disposable tank, and has a spark ignitor. We had hoped to use it inside to take off the edge a bit, but the smell of the unit is a bit strong, although it may just be the manufacturing solvents burning out. However, we found that with our tablecloth on the picnic table, and it between out feet under the table, that it helped to make the chiller nights better - also using it like a small space heater outdoors - again, a luxury item to be sure but for our small outdoor living space, it's good to have some backup when the temp drops.

Since I often get out of the sack hours before my wife when we are camping, the heater made early AM with that first cup or two of coffee a lot better.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

A lot of folks think you can use Catalytic's indoors... NOT SO, they breath just like open flame units. you need a source of fresh air, else two things happen.

1: The unit shuts off when it senses the burner (yes they are called burners) has gone out and heat is no longer being generated

2: You die: Cause the reason the burner went out is: NO OXYGEN
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote