Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Microwave Steamer Gadget

Picked up one of these...

https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...-steamer/73190

Sweet Wife likes to eat veggies hardly cooked and this thing will save on propane and air conditioning. It's BIG, it will fit in the RV microwave but just barely so, taking up the entire turntable. The corners are rounded off so it goes around OK.

Sweet Wife tried it out with some broccoli. Works pretty good but you have to learn to judge for yourself on when the food is done.

And speaking of microwaves, here's another use for a chunk of pool noodle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0039.jpg (45.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0038.jpg (56.1 KB, 21 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Pool noodle is to keep it from rattling, nicht wahr? I just put a washrag under the glass. Since I'll need the washrag anyhow, it's not an extra thing to store.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Pool noodle is to keep it from bouncing around and breaking. This is a rear kitchen trailer; in theory all your stuff is supposed to bounce out of the cabinets with the slightest bump.

So I have been told anyway, by people who will not ever own a rear kitchen trailer for that reason.

But in a motor home I bet the arrangement would ride really quiet.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I was going to say that looks just like the DOMETIC in my Motor home (Microwave) Save for on my Dometic, with the door open, in the lower left, is the real maker's ID tage (LG, Lousy Goods) if yours is an re-labeled LG and the turntable fails I can can tell you how to fix it.

Page 2: I do not know that microwave steamers are that much use.. I used to use a Sunbeam, till I wore it out (Counter top device) then a Black and Decker, now and Aroma, the Armoa i9s much nicer, but I like the others better.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I was going to say that looks just like the DOMETIC in my Motor home (Microwave) ....

Page 2: I do not know that microwave steamers are that much use...
The brand escapes me... but I'm thinking Magic Chef??

The little steamer probably won't get a lot of use, but it's small, cheap ($9) unbreakable, has no electrical or moving parts and weighs next to nothing.

Perfect for a camping gadget that probably won't get too much use.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Mine is much bigger, more expensive and used dang near every day... So it gets a lot of use.

I normally steam potatoes and veggies (Got the idea to steam them from Golden Corral) and as for the meat dish, Well most recipies feed 4-6 so I will wrap (in many cases) the added portions in foil and re-heat them by steaming as well.. Very easy way to cook, I have, on occasion, used microwave to re-heat meat and the results were not even close to what I get by steaming... Thus I Get all steamed up.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

This may get more use than I first thought, as microwaves do tend to dry things out.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
This may get more use than I first thought, as microwaves do tend to dry things out.
The microwave in the DP is a Panasonic Dimension 4, which is also a convection oven. It took me a while to learn how to use the convection-oven feature, but now I use it about twice as often as I use the microwave. I cook a lot. I've also got a conventional gas oven, but use it very seldom nowadays.

The Panasonic's door latches positively and cannot open unless you press the door-open button, so I don't need a pool noodle; but the big rotating glass dish sometimes rattles like crazy unless I put a washrag under it while driving. And sometimes not.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I normally steam potatoes and veggies (Got the idea to steam them from Golden Corral)
Any particular words of advice on steaming potatoes? Never tried it. Just about every other veggie but never potatoes.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
wa8yxm

I normaslly do not peal the potato. But I will excise any bad spots.. Cut it either in half or quarters (Lengthwise) and set the steamer for 30 minutes of steam on my Aroma (it does not start timing till the water boils) or 40 mintues on the older straight timer models. (give it 10 to boil) Serve much as you would baked potatoes only no foil wrap needed.

The whole meal (the hot part) goes in the steamer in most cases. Very nice. (That is with a pre-cooked main course)

For example Last night I put in a foil wrapped stuffed pepper
Broccoli and a sweet potato. (pealed in this case, and halved)

30 minutes of steam is a bit much for Broccoli but since steamers do not burn the food... (10 would be better). but this way it's "one and done" .