Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default A successful Hamfest

Well, the Atlanta Radio Club and the Kennahoochee Radio Club 2018 hamfest is now in the books. It was held in the Cobb Civic Center this year do to the construction at Jim Miller Park where it was held for quite a few years. It appeared there was good attendance this year. I didn't walk the floor much as we were very busy with license testing. We had 47 people take at least one test. Most were offered upgrades to a test they passed and my took us up on the offer so the number of tests I'm sure surpasses 100. By late afternoon my eyes became blurred with checking so many answer sheets. It was a good mix of license testing, we will have more results in a couple days.

This year we used Laurel VEC for testing and there was no charge for the exams. I don't know if the free exam affected the number of people that showed up but based on past years of testing at the hamfest the number was nearly doubled from previous years. We had one ham from the Ukraine pass his Extra, a 11 year old get his General and a 10 year old get his Tech. There was one person that took all three license exams and get his Extra, I asked him what kind of work he did thinking he must have a job in some type of electronics but he replied he was a Landscaper. The other VE's couldn't believe what he did. It isn't often someone does this, he may have had an electronics background from the military. I have had a 12 year old pass all three several years back also.

So we had a good time and had good support of VE's in attendance. Laurel VEC submits the results directly to the FCC and licenses are in the FCC data base the next business day so this Saturday session will be in the database Monday morning (if the FCC doesn't have problems again) Anyone wanting to upgrade for minimal cost check to see if there is a Laurel VE session near you, just do a search for locations.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Good results indeed!

I'd like to meet a 12 year old who passes all 3 in one sitting.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote