Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
N9JKP

Default Winlink

Hi,
Wondering if anyone is using Winlink to send and get emails while traveling off the beaten path?

I think I have it working in my Airstream Interstate (whilst parked in my garage this past weekend).

We are headed to Alaska from Wisconsin this coming May and thought it might be fun to use this as a means of letting family and friends know we are OK as we travel a bit off the usual roads.

https://winlink.org/
TarHeel Lift and Lay
HF antenna: Stealth Telecom 9300
N9JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
DJHphoto1

I don't have an answer to your question.....but blessings to you on your traveling to Alaska!
DJHphoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Wadcutter

We're leaving from central IL to Alaska sometime after May 1. I've been using Winlink some and plan to use it while on our travel. When I've used Winlink before on some of our travels it has worked pretty well.
I have an ICOM 718 in my go-box. For antennas I've made 2 types. Primary are dipoles cut for 20 and 40 meters. I have also used a homemade EARCHI with 30 ft wire. I've contemplated making a portable vertical for 20, 15, 12, and 10 but time is running close and may not have time to play with it enough to finish it up.
Safe travels. Maybe we'll run across each other along the way.
Wadcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
N9JKP

Thanks for the reply, and glad to hear that you have found Winlink useful. We are headed out just before Memorial Day so you will have a head start on us.

Since my last post my laptop died (and wasn’t backed up) so I need to get the new laptop setup for Winlink and my radio.

Kevin
TarHeel Lift and Lay
HF antenna: Stealth Telecom 9300
N9JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
Wadcutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JKP View Post
Thanks for the reply, and glad to hear that you have found Winlink useful. We are headed out just before Memorial Day so you will have a head start on us.
Since my last post my laptop died (and wasn’t backed up) so I need to get the new laptop setup for Winlink and my radio.
Kevin
Our plans are to leave the first week, maybe second week, of May. We have no plans to be anywhere on any day. We're going to take our time, take any road that strikes our interest at the time. Only plan is to be back in IL around the first week in Sept.
We plan on setting up the radio in Alberta, British Columbia, NWT, and the Yukon and try a few QSOs. May not get in Alaska until after mid June. Also want to get north of the Arctic Circle into the Brooks Range and see if the radio and bands will work for me.
I'll be running APRS in the truck. Not sure how many digipeaters and igates I'll hit in some of the places.
I have a 2M/70cm in the truck with the repeaters downloaded along the possible routes. I will also be monitoring 146.520.
Wadcutter is offline   Reply With Quote