Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
Janet H
Administrator

Default Verify Your Forum Account Info - Site Updates Soon

In the coming weeks, we will be moving towards a simpler login using your email address (which is private) and password but first we want to make sure the address associated with your account is accurate.

In a few days we will be prompting all forum members to verify their contact email as they login to the forum.

Many members have ancient e-mail addresses associated with their current accounts and so next week as you login we will ask you to affirm your email address is correct or to update it. If you need to update your email address please follow the prompts and then check your inbox for a confirmation email to your new address. If you are updating your e-mail address, there is a link in that email you will need to click to complete the process. You can then proceed as usual to login with your current user/pass information.

Once members have had time to verify existing addresses (or update them if needed) we will make the change to logging in with that address (a few weeks from now). We appreciate your patience as we go through this process.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Seems like a bad idea to me. My e-mail hasn't changed since at least 1985 and is not likely to change within my lifetime, but those whose e-mail does change will now have to update it with ORR?

To what purpose? In the 3/4 of a decade that I've been on ORR, ORR and I have never interacted via e-mail, and it's hard to imagine why ORR even needs to know my e-mail at all (though I don't object to providing it, except that my current userid -- my callsign -- is shorter -- 4 characters instead of 13 -- quicker, and more convenient to use).

I visit lots of web sites, the vast majority of which have never asked for my e-mail. They really don't need it, and truly it seems obvious to me that ORR doesn't really need it either. So why do this?

Of course, I can think of one reason people seek to compile lists of e-mail addresses. A thousand pardons for not naming it -- surely you wouldn't do that.

Incidentally, I notice that lately I must log in every time I visit. That's new.

*** later ***

Aha, I had to re-click "Remember me" -- some recent change must have made ORR forget that I had clicked it some time ago.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
Janet H
Administrator

We need folks to have current e-mail addresses on file and this is one way to assure it. These addresses are not shared or sold and are not publicly facing BUT are critical when someone has trouble logging in . They are used for password resets and other account concerns and if the address is stale a person can be locked out permanently.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We need folks to have current e-mail addresses on file and this is one way to assure it. These addresses are not shared or sold and are not publicly facing BUT are critical when someone has trouble logging in . They are used for password resets and other account concerns and if the address is stale a person can be locked out permanently.
Well, that does make sense. Thanks for explaining the reason.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Janet H
Administrator

Just a note that you should be seeing the validation notice/prompt today.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
Radio
Administrator

When I ran this place all by myself I wondered if the spam bot attacks would ever end.

This ought to put a stop to it.

Oh, happy day.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
When I ran this place all by myself I wondered if the spam bot attacks would ever end.
Come to think, those are much less frequent lately. That particular minus is certainly a plus.