Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 04-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Paul Stewart

Default Bolt and radio usage

I check this blog about once a week. I am always disappointed to find no new posts. I am similarly disappointed that the local uhf/vhf repeaters are so quiet. When at my usual location in Chico, CA, there is little activity and I thought that was just here. But I have recently traveled a bit and found little activity in other locations.

While on the road I monitor 126.52 and 446.000 the national calling frequencies and even if identify myself there is little if any activity.

I would like to encourage ALL of us to be more active on the frequencites and ESPECIALLY when traveling. We have sizeable investments in equipment and education and we must stay current with operating. I know push to talk in pretty simple but actively interacting together builds better communications, thus making every ham and everyone else safer and better served.

That is my rant. So please, nation wide use your local repeaters and the calling frequencies, identify that you are monitoring, converse with other hams and make our hobby stronger and our highways safer.

P.S. please get more active on the blog. Those of you gainfully employed are limited more than us old retired people but just simple short comments can inspire discussion. Some of the discussions may inspire you, me and someone else to get involved and may regenerate ideas we left behind that just need a little nudge get something to happen.

Thanks for listening.

KE0TFX
Paul Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
N3LYT

Could not agree with you more there are thousands of 2 meter repeaters we know you are listening radio is two way be the other half! N3LYT said that.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Well, of course with the rise of smartphones and such, amateur repeaters face competition. But we have some advantages:

(1) Group round-table conversations, not possible on smartphones, I think -- but then, what do I know? I've never used a smartphone.

(2) On ham radio, we get to talk with strangers. On a smartphone, or any phone, if you're talking with a stranger, he's trying to sell you a product or a candidate, or maybe scamming you.

(3) After an initial outlay, ham radio can be free unless your transmitter is big enough to affect the power bill. Mine isn't, any more; it once was, about 40 or 50 years ago when I'd been a ham for only a couple decades or so.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Paul Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Well, of course with the rise of smartphones and such, amateur repeaters face competition. But we have some advantages:

(1) Group round-table conversations, not possible on smartphones, I think -- but then, what do I know? I've never used a smartphone.

(2) On ham radio, we get to talk with strangers. On a smartphone, or any phone, if you're talking with a stranger, he's trying to sell you a product or a candidate, or maybe scamming you.

(3) After an initial outlay, ham radio can be free unless your transmitter is big enough to affect the power bill. Mine isn't, any more; it once was, about 40 or 50 years ago when I'd been a ham for only a couple decades or so.
Carl thank you for responding you make some good points. I believe cell phone usage and HAM radio are separate issues. Yes both involve wireless communications but the people and uses are different. Hams radio is a challenge and HAM people like that. Cell phone is mostly a toy used less and less as a tool. But you can do Ham things on the cell phone. A program "Zello" available at your app store allows your cell phone to act as a push to talk radio. A group of Hams, "SAM'S RADIO HAMS" currently use it for a "net" every week in place of the currently difficult 40 meter band.

HAM RADIO IF used irregularly and correctly is an amazing opportunity for enjoyment and community support. Information and safety concerns can be easily processed if we are using our equipment. Knowing other hams in our area can resolve many issues. Even entering an area different than our own a local ham, if monitoring can assist you, and assist someone you are near if hams are monitoring the calling frequencies. Ham radio is important for more than the 2 or 3 times A year we support community activities.

EVERYONE PLEASE monitor and talk. Make our education, investment and hobby all it can be.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
Paul Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
Could not agree with you more there are thousands of 2 meter repeaters we know you are listening radio is two way be the other half! N3LYT said that.
N3YLT thank you for responding. I scan several local repeaters and the calling frequencies almost daily. If we all did this and had some discussion now and then the hobby would be better. There is a group on one of our repeaters in the morning and another in the afternoon, but it still seems the frequencies are very quiet. Mayde we can stir up good quality ham talk around the dial.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Paul Stewart

AND by the way the title of this thread should read "Blog and Radio usage" auto correct is good and bad.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stewart View Post
auto correct is good and bad.
I always turn autocorrect off. Used to be, when I was a good typist , that I had no need -- I was always a good speller. Nowadays, with arthritic hands, my typing is so atrocious that no computer could possibly fix it, so I have to proofread microscopically every time. For example, before I wrote this sentence I went back and counted, and there were no fewer than six typos in the first two sentences (first 48 words), including such doozies as aalaysx for always. What might autocorrect have made of that?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
N3LYT

A big plus is club owned repeaters the only problem I have found and this is on all bands they tend to be "clicky" they will be polite then go back to yacking with their friends.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #9
Paul Stewart

I'm sure this happens. I have found HAMS to be polite and generous when in QSO. There is one and his bunch on 80m that I would like to see the FCC fine. The language and attitudes are horrible. BUT that being said I have been delighted with HAMS. If you are in an area get to know them on radio and in person. Go to meetings even if you don't join the clubs also go to breakfasts. You'll become one of the in-group. But even more participate in volunteering with the HAMS in community events. Your community and more important YOU will benefit from your efforts. Whern we give without reserve, no matter it be money, time or effort we benefit far more than the recipient.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
N3LYT

I kind of doubt I hear 80 meters from CA at night in Maine but don't feel bad we have the same mentality here on the east coast primarily on 80 AM and of course big amps. Clubs and local repeaters they go just so far so one may be surprised to find the owner of a local hardware store at a club meeting! We are lucky to have a club president that is ra ra and rallies the troops together for numerous club events (ex scout master) that really helps.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #11
Paul Stewart

80 m at night, you are right. Being new to HAM and being in a very small living situation I get very little HF. I have a Kenwood 440 feeding a BV 77 vertical that uses no radials. I have heard Alaska, Japan and some southern states here in Northern Cal. I have QSO with Washington state on several occasions and So. Cal a couple of times, on 80, 40 and 20 m. I really enjoy the respectful attitudes and operational procedures I have encountered. Mostly the repeaters are my joy. Met a lot of great people through the repeaters and the club's. Thanks for the conversation I look forward to more.

Paul. KE0TFX
Old 06-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #12
N3LYT

I use an R7 vertical up to 20 meters then switch to the wires for 40 up. I have done Asia and pretty much all of Europe with the vertical and my wires and 100 watts. If you find a repeater you like join their club and become part if it's an active club they will do a lot of good things field day, special events etc. Certainly not your side of the world but check out our club W1MWV.com
Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #13
Paul Stewart

Good morning n3lyt. I looked at your club page, looks great. Noticed you have an echolink link on your repeater. On day soon I will give you a call. Very busy this weekend, my wife and I are in Oregon with the Sams Radio Hams seeking membership with them. It us an organization requiring HAM license (any level) and membership in the Good Sam travel organization. We are gathered at TRAIN MOUNTAIN for a campout. Check if you like both out on the web. Talk again soon.
KE0TFX.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
N3LYT

Yes we do and we have a DMR repeater too. I need to check in here more often maybe we can made things happen.