Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
N4MU Papi

Default Solutions and/or Experience?

Here’s a question with no cut and dried answer I know but I sure would like your best guess on the results.

Picture a Tarheel 100 sitting in the center of an 8X8 foot metal storage shed. All metal…roof too (flat roof). The antenna base would therefore be about 8 feet off the ground just over the metal roof. What are my chances of it loading? Any improvement using a radial kit (from the antenna base and draped over the shed, then down the sides and then out along the ground surrounding the shed? Would a capacitance hat improvement the loading in this situation? BTW, I run 500 watts.

I know this is weird but I’m getting into a situation where it may be the only possibility. I may also be able to just plop the antenna in the ground a few feet away from the shed and use conventional radial kit but if I can raise the base to the shed roof it would physically be better. (And hidden better)

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard or seen of anything similar. Thanks!

“I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.” - Carl Sagan
N4MU Papi is offline   Reply With Quote