Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Vette Racer

Default Moab and back

Well, We went to New Mexico and on to Moab, Utah and back to Oklahoma, 2700 miles give or take and almost 600 miles on the jeep. Monitored 146.52 all the way, only people we heard was some in Utah that didn't use any call sign. I usually check into the sw traffic net on 3.935 when conditions allow and play around on the rest of the freq's as the bands allow. Look for my call, KE5NCP.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
N7OQ

I have had limited success monitoring 146.52 I found calling for anyone monitoring works sometimes especially when close to cities. I have made several contacts in Oregon and even in Yellowstone park and a Air Mobile by the Oregon/California Border. But at other time I will drive hours and here nothing.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
aviator

In the last year we have traveled form Florida to Georgia, VA, PA, NY, IL, ND WY MT, through Canada to Alaska. Returned from AK to WA, OR, CA, TX, FL. We just left Orlando after a three week stay and are now in a Thousand Trails park in Wachula, FL. We will leave here on 3 Jan for the Rio Grande Valley in TX. Currently I only have 2 meters in the Saturn Vue. Very soon I will install HF and 2 meters in the motor coach.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
W6DCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
Well, We went to New Mexico and on to Moab, Utah and back to Oklahoma, 2700 miles give or take and almost 600 miles on the jeep. Monitored 146.52 all the way, only people we heard was some in Utah that didn't use any call sign. I usually check into the sw traffic net on 3.935 when conditions allow and play around on the rest of the freq's as the bands allow. Look for my call, KE5NCP.
I went to Yellowstone last year, monitored 146.52 and didn't hear a soul, except in Utah, and you are right, no-one used a call sign. I think they are rogue operators. Sounded more like business talk than rag chew or casual conversation.
I even saw some TV's with call sign plates, called them but heard nothing back.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
MomnDadHams

Last year we went from So Cal to Flagstaff, up to Cortez (four corners Mesa Verde http://www.mesa.verde.national-park.com/), across the 160 over the CD and up the 285 to the 24 east to Manitau Springs, up the 25 to Aurora to campout with friends at Cherry Creek, then we headed up the 76 to Sydney, NE (checked out Cabelas, a must see if near), took the 80 to Minden, NE (Harold Warps museum http://www.pioneervillage.org/), headed to Des Moines, IA (daughter, grandaughter, SIL), Back west through SD (Mitchell, Badlands, see avatar, Wall, Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood), SW to Vernal, UT, Across through SLC to Ely, NV, down through, Tonapah, into Bishop, CA kicked back in the hot springs....very nice.....then down to So Ca.

The trip was 5 weeks, 6000+ miles, lots of wandering, and just a lot of fun. We had met some of the friendliest folks in the midwest you would ever want to know. Can't wait to get out and do another journey like that! We always make a big circle...never out and back.

Yes we have a beautiful country and there is so much to see.

Mike
MomnDadHams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:25 AM   #6
KA7JUR

Default 146.52 near Yellowstone

Last summer I spent most of 3 weeks on the road in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. I heard almost nothing on 146.52 until I got to Yellowstone. Then I gave a call and received an answer. It was from a man that spends his summers in a forest fire lookout overlooking the west side of the park. Over a few days time we chatted a bit more and I heard him speak with other locals and visitors as well.

Sometimes I wonder if the ARRL should change the field day rules to allow contacts on 146.520. It seems like that might help remind people to monitor there and use it instead of treating it as a reserved place that lies dormant and forgotten. Regardless, I suppose that it will be more fun if we just remember to make calls there from time to time...

73s
KA7JUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #7
Richard Stouffer

I'm going to go look for some kind of a sign I can put on the back of the RV that says 145.52 and stick it on the back while we travel next week. Since the license on the RV and the toad are my call sign I might make some contacts. If I do I'm going to encourage everyone I talk to to do the same thing.

Who knows, maybe someone will be inspired to make removable signs for fiberglass that say 146.52- hint, hint.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
N8GS

Avaitor
When you get to the valley you my run across my borther AB8MS down there. He works at Lowes in McAllen and is active on VHF and HF.
I on the other hand have not been very active for the last few years but I hope to get my HF rig working better in my work truck (18 wheeler) so I can pass the time while on the road. Right now I have too much noise forn the inverter that powers my Refrigerator, laptop and microwave. Looks like a pure sine wave inverter is the answer but they cost more than an HF rig.
N8GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
WA6IRQ

Greetings !!!

I travel a lot for work and I always have at least a HT along. I rarely get any contacts on 146.52.

When I drive to my projects I always have a HF rig and most of the time I can make a contact or 2 every hour to help pass the time.

My current assignment is in Page Az and its a 8 hour drive from the home QTH in Rancho Cucamonga CA with lots of open desert in between so I use the HF but I always have 146.52 monitoring.

I will be headed home tomorrow ( Sunday ) so I will be in full radio mode for sure.

Wes
WA6IRQ
WA6IRQ is offline   Reply With Quote