Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
KE5NWT

Default Anybody have a wind generator?

I'm toying with the idea of a small wind generator for the house. It would be more novilty than anything, but I might power the ham shack or some of the lighting circuits with it. I'm looking at an Air-X (400watt) and an Air-Breeze (200watt). They are about $600 and seem to be quality units. It would take years to recoup the cost but these thing have always interested me.

Does anyone have an AIR-X and are you happy with it? The AIR-BREEZE is by the same company and is brand new. It starts at a slightly lower wind speed than the Air-X. I'm in a zone 2 wind area. I've got spare push-up towers, and lots of acres, so that part is already available.

Please comment if you have any knowledge of small wind systems.
KE5NWT
Uvalde County, Texas
KE5NWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
radiow6lar

Default Air-X

Hi Bob,

We use the Air-X at a few of our remote Microwave repeater sites to suppliment solar power on non-sunny days. So far they have been fairly good. But remember these sites are generally mountain top sites and get some very strong prolonged winds. We generally have to send one in each year per site to get repaired. We keep a spare per site just for that reason. They are all the 48 volt versions. Its usually the bearings. They do need a good wind to do their job so if your just in a breezy location they probably won't make ya happy. I'd stick with solar collectors. I need to look at the Air-Breeze but its about half the output.
2004 F-150 XL Supercab HD
2006 Aljo 225LT, Solar Powered
Me: 43 1/2 years GTE (Verizon)
Wife: RN and 45 years putting up with Me!

CQ CQ CQ Ain't life Grand!
radiow6lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
w6pea

Default Wind Power

There was an article in Trail Life a couple of months ago about solar and wind power. I do not remeber what month it was. But I am almost willing to bet that it was July. Look in their website for the info.

Also you would really be better off with solar collectors...they are a lot cheaper than any of the wind turbines I have seen advertised, but then again the people that sell the solar panel set ups think they are made of platnum, instead of silcate and plastic.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
kd0un

There are some plans on the "Internet" to home make one. Interesting -- a lot of effort. Then there is the problem of a tower to support it.
kd0un is offline   Reply With Quote