Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
ke0me

Default Northwest US trip

Any members out there in ND, MT, ID, WA, OR ?

That's the summer/fall route for us and I would be interested in unusual scenic and historical sites.

We are roughly following Lewis and Clark route and Oregon Trail route, but can wander around as needed.

One example is the first experimental reactor in US in Arco, ID (EBR-1).

Of course, any really big natural features are always great (like Multnomah Falls and Redwoods National Park).

So, what is your favorite place we should be sure to stop at?

Oh, and if there any good road side eateries, that is great also.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Cutter46

If you have time take hwy101 along the Oregon coast. If you take from north to south it will take you to the Redwood nf in California. Spend a night or two at Harris Beach sp. in Brookings Or. It's a beautiful state park with some full hook ups. If you end up in Brookings on a Tuesday you can check in with the local 2 Mtr net at 145.85. Above all else Have Fun.
Cutter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Cutter46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter46 View Post
If you have time take hwy101 along the Oregon coast. If you take from north to south it will take you to the Redwood nf in California. Spend a night or two at Harris Beach sp. in Brookings Or. It's a beautiful state park with some full hook ups. If you end up in Brookings on a Tuesday you can check in with the local 2 Mtr net at 145.85. Above all else Have Fun.
The local net is 146.96....Sorry about the wrong freq above.
Cutter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
coupevillefish

Lots to see up here in Washington - Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Olympic Peninsula, Whidbey Island, San Juan Islands, and more. If you are interested in nuclear, Hanford is now a National Historic area and open for tours. Museums - Lemay Auto Museum, Chihuahua Glass, several air museums including touring the Boeing plant. There is a computer museum in Seattle and a radio museum in Bellingham.

Oh, did I mention Whidbey? That's home. We have Fort Casey, Historic Coupeville, Ebey Reserve (qualifies as a NPOTA site, island and lighhise), a seaplane museum, Deception Pass and lots of good camping. I'm not biased.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
coupevillefish

A couple of other thoughts, when in Arco, don't miss Craters of the Moon. At the end of the Oregon Trail is the Oregon Trail museum, where elese? Oregon City. We have been to both and recommend them.

If you do decide to do 101 as someone suggested, be sure to stop in Astoria (Ft Stevens SP has a very nice campground) and Tillamook. There is lots to see all along 101 but those are favorites.

As your trip plannin progresses, keep us posted. I am sure I can come up with ideas in the areas you decide to visit.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
ke0me

thanks for the info!

I'm in the process of creating the spreadsheets to list all the sites we WANT to see, then paring it down to the list we CAN see.

We definitely had route 101 included, but will be sure to check out Whidbey Island.

We will be leaving Colorado for the summer about Aug 1 which is a late start, but we should have time to see many of these sites before we have to head south.
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #7
coupevillefish

Your timing should be pretty good. The weather is normally pretty good in August and September. We prefer to travel after the summer crowds are gone.

North to South on 101 is usually preferred because most of the scenic pull outs are on the right side of the road going south.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
ke0me

we will be coming from Olympic Natl Park headed south, so that should work. Hope they are long pull offs, with trailer I'm about 50 feet long.

HMMM, wonder how those pull overs would be for working Asia??????????
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
coupevillefish

You have all that water as a reflector. Just might work.