Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Frog

How many of you are FROG (Forest River Owners Group) members? To those that own RV's made by one of the Forest River companies there is an attempt to get a net organized. It started a couple weeks ago with WB4FSN, Roger Forbes, as the organizer. They meet on 40M at 7.255 <> at 9:00pm EDT. I got on last night and heard hams from TN, KY, MD and PA. Where were you Dana (that's a coded message to keep your identity secret).

For anyone that owns a Forest River product you can join FROG at no cost by going to: http://www.forestriverfrog.com and register there. There are presently over 50,000 owner members. Check on Rallies, member events nationwide or go to the Granddaddy International Rally in its 4th year with just under 800 RV's at the county fairgrounds in Goshen, IN (it won't hold any more). I don't think there is any other manufacturer that has an event like it. FROG members that have RV problems that aren't warranty or standard maintenance can have repairs done (advance notification required) at no cost while at the International Rally, I've heard of complete fiberglass sides being replaced after warranty expired because of delamination (usually done after the rally) at no cost because of manufacturing errors. They fix things the dealers can't or won't fix, at the Goshen rally.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
accumack

I own a Forest River Berkshire class A but i'm currently only on 70cm, 2 handheld & 10 meters 25 watts mobile. At some point I'll get a better multi band radio and join you guys.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Cutter46

I tried last night but QRM kept me from copying anything. I will try again tonight at 7.255. I an located in So. Oregon so we'll see how it goes. K6VHG
Cutter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
coupevillefish

We have c a 2004 Georgetown and attended v the first Oktobefest Rally in Amana Iowa. There were 96 rigs there and it was a lot of fun.

My HF antenna is finally going up at home tomorrow so I will try to join the FROG net when I get settled into the radio (ICOM 718). My expectations are not too high since I am so far west and 6 pm PDT is not the best time for 40 meters.

Dave
KG7JCA
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

The folks who started Open Roads Radio were both Forest River owners. I have the Rockwood 8280SS 5th wheel and Mike upgrade from one FR TT to another and I don't recall which product line they were.

Not long after we started ORR.net and he bought the new trailer, Mike was diagnosed with colon cancer and began a very long goodbye.

And Dana is aware of the net operations and will try a little harder to make the net in spite of less than ideal 40m/80m antenna situation.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
electricflyer

I believe Wednesdays and Sundays are the main attempts at operating the FROG net but there may be people try on any of the other nights. I listened tonight but didn't hear anything. There was QRM 1khz down at 7.254. The net control (WB4FSN) is pretty close to Pigeon Forge and operates with 1KW but nothing was heard. Another person (AI4SR) fills in as net control in near Lexington KY and also runs a little over 1KW. I was one of about 5 to make contact Wednesday night. Roger (WB4FSN) is going to have a special event station set up at the International Rally in Goshen August 14-20th. He hasn't got a special call yet. You can follow the Forest River Forum thread at: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-106345.html
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
solar.gumby
KA2DTH

I joined a the FROG a few years ago, but after a few flame wars and intervention by the moderators, I haven't been back in the past year.
Had a few interesting ideas there, but not worth the frustration to me.
solar.gumby is offline   Reply With Quote