Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Radio goes shopping, again! - $20 mattress pad and a fix for harsh ceiling fan lights

Having been somewhat depressed by the high cost of mattress pads, I had considered going to a fabric store and buying a 60" x 80" piece of 1/2" foam. I pretty much like the RV mattress we have, especially the fact that it is heated.

While at Target this week I came across a "Comfy Foam" mattress pad. Queen size is $20, full is $15 and twins are even less. The foam surface has those tiny "egg crate" dimples. After a brief "test rest" I think this is just what we needed.

Also I have been muttering under my breath about the harshness of the light from our ceiling fan. I had been looking for some time for a softer light, possibly a frosted bulb to replace the original halogen spots with.

At Home Depot I came across this solution: A GU-10 based compact fluorescent replacement. This bulb draws only 7 watts (rather than 35 - 50) and produces very little heat, which might be nice on a hot summer night and reduces load on park supplies and generators.

As with many CF bulbs, the light is dim and purple-ish until the bulb warms up. I like the softer, not quite as bright (almost!) light. Some what pricey at about $8 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0228feb28randomstuff0016.JPG (22.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0228feb28randomstuff0017.JPG (27.0 KB, 46 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
One Country Boy

The EcoBulbs are really beginning to get interesting. I was shopping for some the other day but never found just what I wanted. Maybe I'm not sure what I want. I'm looking for some to put in our cieling fans in the "stick house". Have not decided which will work best yet. I see all these new LED bulbs coming out, a lot to choose from.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
donnie

Send a message via MSN to donnie

FWIW, when we bought our MH, the previous owner had replaced the orginal mattresswith a queen size mattress.
We added a pillow top mattress cover with an egg crate between teh cover and the mattress.
Actually quite comfortable for us.
Thinking about changing the incadescentbulds to LED and installing solar power.

donnie

K7UTA
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
McKannick

Default A tad more than $20

Radio, we just upgraded ours as well, as the cheapo factory mattress in our Gulfstream was just sumpin else to try and sleep on. So after looking around in stores and on the net, I gave this a shot http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQB2PU , went for the 'free shipping' option, which got it here just after the 'windy weekend adventure' in FDR state park last weekend.
After the thing 'reinflated' itself out of the super tight shrink wrap, it's about 3" thick like the ad said. And WAY cushy. We're trying it out this weekend.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote