Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
TN-Tom
Retired/Senior Member

Hi Mike - It sounds as if we have very similar installations, but, I've not been specific about the wire size I used for grounding. You used 1" copper braid while I used #10 AWG stranded. I have called Yaesu at least twice and followed their directions which included their understanding of the choice of wire (#10) I used and using the metal ladder as a ground plane. I'm getting good QSO's with what I have right now. I've found that the ladder bracket bolts in my MH are backed by a wide strip of metal under the top and back of the coach. If I could install the antenna differently, I'd move the antenna further up on the roof and over the only horizontal metal plate of the ladder attachments, thereby giving me a little bit better ground plane. No installation is perfect on a MH with such a sensitve antenna as the ATAS 120, but, I'm happy with what I've got this winter season. I have a disability which limits my ability to climb and make quick changes. I'll take another look for installation this summer since I have to take the antenna down before getting on the road for home. Thanks for giving me your thoughts on what works best for you. I'd appreciate seeing pics of how you installed your antenna. Tom N1NDM
TN-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote