Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
K7UPJ

Default Eagle One

This week I took a little trip and used my Eagle One for the first time. It is mounted on the ladder and was very difficult to the point of outright dangerous to be hanging onto the ladder with one arm wrapped around the ladder and both hands needed to extend the antenna. Where can I get a climbing safety belt?

Noise level on most bands was pretty high. Partly to be expected with a vertical, maybe partly because of the campground environment. Someday when I have the energy I will try it in an open area.

I made one QSO on 40, one on 17, and a few on 30M. Upper bands sounded dead.

Rig is an Icom 7000 with an AH-4 tuner and Eagle One antenna on a Tiffin Phaeton. Cables run out a window.

Overall a bit disappointed with the amount of work to set up and lack of activity on the bands so won't be using it unless I am staying in one place for several days.

Jerry
K7UPJ
K7UPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

If there's a Grainger outlet in your area, they sell safety equipment like climbing belts. Graybar Electric Supply, too. Also, there are usually some climbing-belt ads in QST.

Why not call HRO, AES and the like? Who knows, maybe they have them, or know who does.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There is a way to "lock" yourself to the ladder but I doubt it would work on an RV ladder.. I also would not trust a safety belt on an RV ladder. the laddre is not strong enough to support you if you should slip.

That said "Tight coupling" with a belt, specifically at a mounting point, might work.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
coupevillefish

I've thought about one of these for my MH. How far up the ladder is the base? Can you extend it and then tip it up? I don't really like hanging onto the ladder either.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

The "Eagle One" works pretty well if "ground mounted" with a tri-pod and either sand bags or tent stakes (as shown on the web site) .
Other wise , I would suggest a mount off the lower frame of the RV or the rear bumper.
Depending on your preference this could be a "tip-up" of some sort or just a fixed "tube" that a short mast can slide into allowing you to extend the antenna on the ground then stand up into it's operating position.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
K7UPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
I've thought about one of these for my MH. How far up the ladder is the base? Can you extend it and then tip it up? I don't really like hanging onto the ladder either.
The base of the antenna could be as low as you like, but if you have it mounted down low, the RV is blocking a lot of the antenna. So my preference was to mount it as high as possible so when retracted it is below the roof line.

I think impractical to extend and tip up. It is 31 ft. long which would be difficult plus I don't know if it is strong enough to take the stress.

Jerry
K7UPJ is offline   Reply With Quote