Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #21
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I hung a KAT-1 (Marine Grade Kenwood Automatic Tuner) on the rear cap and feed it with a TS-2000 Works great with assorted long wires or push up poles. Lots of options.

A screwdriver could also be mounted on the rear as you suggest, while not the best antenna, it is perhaps the best MOBILE antenna. If you are worried about ground plane you may be able to extend a frame rail out just a bit using basically one bolt and a bit of custom cut angle iron, (No drilling required save on the extension rail) This would give you the frame as a counterpoise.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #22
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

Not sure what month QST did an article on mobile antennas, bang for the buck and the antennas that won out were not the screwdrivers, but antennas with resonators or sticks, like the hustler type or comet...hard to believe with all those screwdriver antennas out there. Surprised me...
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #23
Richard Stouffer

I read that article and I too was surprised by the finding of the two guys doing the research. I have a Hi Q 160 that I have had some success with and it is a very expensive unit requiring a lot of attention to detail to properly set up.

Exchanges on this site on subjects like this are the real value it offers.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #24
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The QST article was no surprise to me. The screwdriver is a base loaded antenna. That makes it so popular (And for good reason) is that you can remote tune it, in fact there are many companies that make automatic tuners for it some of which interface with your radio so that you can do seamless band switching. Just change bands on the radio, push the auto-tune button and... Whirr,Whirr. tuned.

However it is a published fact (Most any antenna book) that base loaded antennas are not as good as center or top loaded antennas

The ones that outperformed the screwdrivers were all center or top loaded.

Now, a fully automatic, trap tuned, all band center or top loaded antenna. for mobile use

I don't know of one
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #25
w6pea

I am using my side kick on my base station IC-706MKIIG. I also use it in my RV. I works great.
I have the same radio in my P/U, but I use the AH-4 tuner. I like the side kick set up.
In mho it really depends on conditions of the bands as to which antenna set up works better.
The reason I say that is I talked to a man in SD. I'm in CA. When I was in my P/U. Got good reports from him. I talked to him at 1200hrs. PDT, I also talked to him on my base station. Got not as good reports. I talked to him at 1245hrs. PDT, the same day.

I talked to this same station yesterday, at the same basic time 1300hrs. PDT and could hardly pull him out . He claims that he is using the same High Sierra Antenna I use. except his is mounted on a pipe 12ft. above the ground. My side kick is mounted on the tripod from High Sierra and sits on a wooden balcony
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #26
w7wv

Just my opinion.
A well made screwdriver works very well.
The problem comes in when people try to mount them in manners contrary to the instructions that came with them.
I have seen lots of this done.
I didn't want a screwdriver on the MH. Too expensive and they are not maintenance free by all means.
My 102" whip is mostly a non maintenance item and that's good as the base is up at almost 11'. Of course I tie it down for travel.
The only downside is having to add more wire for more bands. That's OK as I like 15 and 17 for the most part anyway.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #27
lapipara

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mp View Post
I have been using a Comet UHV-6 in my truck for a while and I also have one for the 5th wheel...for those who have no idea what the antenna is...here is my description, but you can look it up...its a base loaded vertical with resonators, but a lot smaller than hustlers....the UHV6 comes with, 2, 440, 6, 10, 15 and 40 mtrs...I also purchased the 20 mtr resonator...I use this with my LDG z-100 tuner...but I have it resonant on or near the HF freqs I like to use on the road...I also have this set up on the top rack of the 5th wheel. When I get to a campsite and if I have room I will set up my Maldol HVU-8, that gives me 2 thru 80...along with the tuner its not that bad...good luck on your choice...
I have a uhv 6 antenna. I intend to mount this to a pole attached to the frame of my firberglass 5th whee. Will that give me enough of a ground plane. Secondly how did you tune it. I put it all together adn attempted to tune it with a mfj meter. My swr readings were all over the place. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
lapipara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #28
Richard Stouffer

I think you will need to use the frame for you counterpoise. Fiberglass won't do a thing for you in that regards.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #29
w7wv

I suspect that he is really not hooked up to a "frame" or ground reference.
Many times ladders, gutters and such on RVs are not ground electrically.
You need to check this out and make sure.
And many older RVs that I have had have wooden frames holding the fiberglass up so there is no ground there either.
Use a meter and find out if what you are hooked to to really the frame or negative side of the battery.
You just might be surprised.
Boats are even worse to deal with, been there and done that.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #30
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

I have the antenna mount grounded to the rear bumper of the 5'er...as far as tuning...I tuned it on my truck before I put it on the 5th wheel...I also use a LDG Z100 tuner to assist in getting the SWR even lower...have no problems with it...sometimes I also put out my MALDOL HVU-8....another nice portable antenna for camping...but somewhat cumbersome...
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote