Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
w6pea

Default Campground reservations

I normally don't really complain about a lot of things, but this gets under my craw.
Yesterday I was planning a trip my yl and I are going to make. I called one campground we use a lot in Lone Pine Ca. asked about making a reservation. the young lady was great, she asked if I would like to give her a cc to guarantee the reservation, she said the card would not be charged until the day of the res. All is good so far.

I hung up and called the KOA @ Boomtown Reno, NV. And asked about making a reservation for the following day, and then for on our return trip the following Saturday, and Sunday. Fine so far then the lady says I have to pay for the sites with a cc. NOT I don't mind giving a cc to guarantee the reservation but having to pay in advance and then if some thing happens and I have to cancel the reservations be charged a fee per day for the reservation sucks.

I called the campground at Grand Sierra Resort this morning and asked about the same dates. Guess what not only will they reserve the sites for me. But they also cost less than the KOA, and if I have to cancel I have until 4pm the day of arrival to cancel and no fee for canceling.

I guess KOA just lost my business. And who needs to pay KOA $24.00 a year.
We stayed in a campground in Winnemucca Nv. last year for a week, and they gave us a discount I think it was because we belong to
Good Sams, they took I think 5 dollars a day, Grand Sierra does the same.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

KOA (some folks think it means Keep On Adding (Fees)) looses more customers that way

If I'm late getting into town and have no reserved parking.. I'll stay at a KOA cause they have parking. There is a reason they always have parking.... Considering that the Campgrounds are decent It has got to be management and/or price.

However, I like to avoid them... Price is the reason
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
w6pea

Further info....I talked to the Grand Sierra they give a 20% discount if you are retired Military or Govt. Employee, AARPmember or AAA, and I think also Good Sams. the young lady was not sure about GS but theother two yes!!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
w6pea

Default Koa

New name for KOA ....... Kontinuously Overcharging America