Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #21
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0me View Post
Any suggestions on how to securely hold down radios that don't have bolt flanges?
Cut two pieces of 1/2" angle aluminum (Home Depot) slightly wider than the radio. Drill a hole for a long bolt at each end that would attach to the shelf. You have the option of bolting it up under a shelf or onto the top of a shelf. I would glue a thin rubber padding to avoid scratching the radio and to keep it from slipping.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #22
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Cut two pieces of 1/2" angle aluminum (Home Depot) slightly wider than the radio. Drill a hole for a long bolt at each end that would attach to the shelf. You have the option of bolting it up under a shelf or onto the top of a shelf. I would glue a thin rubber padding to avoid scratching the radio and to keep it from slipping.
Interesting. It set me thinking. Depending upon the width of the radio, you might go to an auto parts house and look at auto-battery clamps. These often are padded angles with a piece to tie them together at the top (across the top of the battery or radio) and a way to pass a bolt vertically down through the surface on which the battery (radio) rests.

For example: BATTERY HOLD DOWN -- you might have to extend or shorten the rod that goes across.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #23
Jackmaster

Default Build a GO-BOX

Sounds more like a Go-Box. I've built several using plastic tool boxes available at Wal-Mart and Harbor Freight. Easy to carry and the top storage compartments are ideal for small items. My latest has a 12V DC power supply from a 12V power supply and battery from an AT&T U-Verse DVR. Terminals for antenna, AC and DC power along with a digital multimeter. A 12V to 5V & 9V power supply provides auxillary power for a LED light (5V). If you don't drill and holes in the sides or bottom, they're water tight for rain and water puddles.
Jackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #24
ke0me

Thanks for the ideas. Luckily, The box is built so I have access under each shelf to drill the holes.
Accidentally, I never glued the top on, so that will help getting this all together.

Radio box temporarily sidelined for installation of the SteadyFast stabilizing arms for the 5er.
Hot sun, lots of steel drilling chips from drilling the 5er frame, covered with dripping oil from trying to keep the bit lubricated and not too hot. fun.

http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #25
electricflyer

Here is a repost of my radio go box. I added another photo that may be slightly better. I used 1/4" luan and used aluminum angle 3/4"x3/4" on the corners and to hold each shelf . The dimensions are 12"hx10"w11"d. I should have made it another inch wider and another inch deeper for a place to store the mic and jumper wires. I used power poles/sermos connectors for power which is what I also use for the deep cycle battery and the Astron power supply on my desk. The radio is a Yaesu FT-450, the tuner is a LDG AT-200pro and the power supply is a Radio Shack 25A switching power supply. I have a front and back panel that is held in place with threaded rod and wing nuts thru the tubes seen on each side of
the tuner. I would like to put a carry handle on the top but that would need to be reinforced before I do that as it may be a little heavy for 1/4" luan to hold.
P1010005.jpg

P1010001.jpg
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #26
coupevillefish

Finally got pictures of one of the Go Boxes I mentioned earlier. Right now, it contains 2 UHF/VHF radios, power supply, power distribution board, and a 2m/440 cross-band repeater. He plans to add an ICOM 706 HF. He will probably put that on the bottom shelf, which is secured to the bottom, because of the weight.

The upper 1/4" shelves are not fastened in yet. They need to be able to pull out to reach the radios and other equipment. He plans on securing just the front edge to keep them secure when the box is tipped up. The nice thing about this arrangement is that several boxes can be stacked for transport.

You can see antenna ports on the side. He just runs the electric out the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150427_100525.jpg (48.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20150427_100736.jpg (36.8 KB, 27 views)
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #27
Jpatrickc

Why not do a second piece of aluminum angle above the shelf and allow the shelf to fit between the lower angle and the upper angle. He would need to flip the lower angle but that way he could pull out the shelf anytime.

Pat
Belleville, PA
Jpatrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #28
ke0me

Default radio enclosure pics

Here is pic of the almost finished box.
Contains:
ICOM 7200
Power supply
Antenna Tuner
Dummy Load
TVI filter
Ground bus bar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0986.jpg (65.4 KB, 19 views)
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #29
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

That is absolutely elegant.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #30
Stevenik

I located an old Forest Service comm center truck box that had been removed from the truck. It has double steel walls, insulated, with 7 windows and 2 doors with heavy deadbolts built in. The aft four feet feature an isolated room with heavy shelving and double-doors and locks. Overall, it is 12x8 feet (8x8 for the main room) and 7 feet floor to ceiling. I paid less for this than I would for the wood to build a simple box. The "extra" room houses my deep-cycle batteries and solar controlling system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150506_100007.jpg (88.1 KB, 12 views)
Stevenik is offline   Reply With Quote