Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Richard Stouffer

Angry Big Bump in Diesel Prices

In preparation for departure tomorrow to Dayton I checked Flying J's diesel prices. WOW!!!

If nothing chnges I'll be paying around $4.25 a gallon. I guses I'll just have to drive real slow, pack some bologna sandwiches and walk around the flea market and arena without buying anything.

How much fun will that be???
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
w7wv

Yes it's going up rapidly. Here diesel has been over $4 for some time.
I heard as of this AM that regular gas in CA is $3.92 average too.
Here as of yesterday you could get it for $3.44 but that could have changed overnight.
I know a guy that just bought a 300+ HP diesel 40' MH used. He is not happy.
I don't own a diesel presently but have had 3 trucks that ran on it in the past.
Remember when diesel was cheaper?
Here, trucking companies are running over the border into Mexico to get diesel some $2 a gallon cheaper. There is a rule that you can only have some 100 gallons in your tanks when you come over the borders but I don't think it's being enforced really hard right now.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

It will get worse this winter...home heating oil will compete with deisel...supply and demand.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Richard Stouffer

I won't pretend to have a crystal ball, but I got a feeling that there will be a snap somewhere down the road. It will happen when every guy or gal with a 401k decides to buy oil futures. Then the futures market will collapse leaving the small investors holding the bag. It will probably resemble the dot come bust.

Ain't nobody get out of this thing without some bruises, except for the big money folks and the institutional speculators.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Manual Garcia O'Kely

In three weeks we paid, for regular unleaded prices from $3.09 to $4.49/gallon. Outside of CA, prices were still mostly under $3.50, but I expect to be paying well over that this summer on our trip.

We may camp more and drive less, or at least leave the trailer behind and do more day trips where we will get 5-6 more miles per gallon.

Buying the mini trailer is starting to look smarter than renting an RV every day, unfortunately.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
w7wv

That's our plan as future full timers. We will only go around 500 miles a month, stop and see the area.
So not traveling every day in the MH will reduce our costs substantially. It's still not cheap. Touring will be with a Corolla which gets good MPG.
We are planning on $4-5 per gallon fuel this summer if the house sells.
It's the rest of the fast ever increasing costs that worry us right now.
It seems everything has gone up so much in the last year or two and retirement COLAs are not keeping up at all.
We are still doing better than many out there today.
Our propane to heat water and the house was $1.65 a gallon 5 years ago. Today it's over $3 per gallon plus tax delivered.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
Richard Stouffer

Arrived safely in Ohio late yesterday afternoon. The most I paid for diesel was $4.43. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to forget about that 7800 I've been dreaming of.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

Diesel in eastern PA is at $4.69/gallon this morning. Was in OK last two weeks and diesel was at 3.99/4.09 gallon....PA taxes kill us and the roads still stink...
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
TXiceman

Sad part of this whole mess is the only control we have over it is to just part the vehicle and don't go anywhere. The Saudis and OPEC have the world by the you know what and are just sitting over there racking in the $$$$.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
Hal

Default diesel prices in Okla

Good morning to all.
well there has been a change here in Okla city area. I filled up at Conoco Wed the 14th for $4.05 on diesel. we left for twin Bridges State Park. came back Monday the 19th and diesel at said station is $4.22 but it was a wonderful weekend. Good food great weather we had about 50 hams there for Sat lunch wish you all could have been there.
Hal NX5A
we all had good time.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

Hal, glad to see that you had a great time that weekend and it was great to have met you on the radio and in person. Hopefully, when the wife and I retire we can meet up on the road somewhere. Tell your wife to enjoy her retirement...I know that you do...
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
N7OQ

Until we take a stand against the environmental terrorists in this country we are going to pay at the pump. Russia is only paying a little over $2 a gallon because they are using their oil and have refineries. I for one really don't care if a Caribou or two is inconvenienced and if someone doesn't want a new refinery built then to bad, they will get over it. I for one thing if there is oil some where drill for it and if our capacity to refine it is lacking then start building new refineries. At the same time I think we need to look at new sources of energy too.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote