Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Quiet. Very Quiet.

Pretty quiet on the ORR.net forum.

Very very quiet, as Elmer Fudd used to say. I suppose we are all out hunt that wiley, wiley, wabbit. Or some such.

What are we all up to? I've been busy helping my mother renovate some real estate. Today I am worn out from painting. And you?

What are you up to?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
W5DOK
Old Member

Well, I'm on the beautiful Texas Gulf coast. Had a total knee replacement a few weeks ago and I spend a lot of time rehabbing that knee. Still a lot of pain and limited motion, but it's coming around. Being on the coast helps. Something about ocean air makes it all feel better and the occasional fishing trip doesn't hurt. We'll be here until mid May and then it's off to the mountains. Probably spend some time in the Dakotas and then down to Wyoming before winding up in Colorado for the summer. That's all from here. Gotta mow the grass this morning, but there's no fun there.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
N3LYT

Still pushing snow been out riding on the snow machine pat my camper when I walk by it in the barn say any time now (ha)
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

What are we up to today, about 330 pounds... Started the day checking into the Breakfast club, then hour 1 of the 72 Chew, Something I normally never do on a Sunday.. But I had a ride to church today so did not need to take down till tomorrow. Then Church, Class and back here to make bread. Argue a bit with the computer (I won, I think) and .. Well here I am (had I lost I'd not be here).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Spent the last several days in Eustis FL assisting/shepherding an old friend who was buying a house so she could live where she grew up. Closed Friday, and tomorrow she's flying back to Portland OR until the movers arrive at her Portland house.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Even better today.. Yesterday the weather brueau was promissing rain and all that goes with it today, My day of pay, The day we change campgrounds.

Today, dawned bright and dry.. It appears said storm .. Headed farther south and missed us, Possibly of storms later tonight but.. I'm all set up, so what do I care .
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
KF5BET

Have been spending the last couple of months spare time restoring my old motorcycle. Not much going on in the ham radio world.

Will be going to our local hamfest next weekend. Anyone in LA or who like to travel, come on out and "pass a good time".

http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/index.htm
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Have been spending the last couple of months spare time restoring my old motorcycle.
Mustn't tease us like that. What kind of old motorcycle? A 1953 Indian Chief, perhaps? I have long lusted after one of those. That, or a 1938-40 Indian Four.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
N3LYT

Contest this weekend on HF 15 meters was super hot it was hard to make a contact with so many calling. I'm not a contest fan but it does bring out some rare ones I got a few countries I didn't have. It is hard some times competing with huge antennas and 1500 watts when your bare foot and running dipoles but that makes more fun!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
KF5BET

No Carl....You're thinking way too old...

It is my first ever motorcycle. 1985 Suzuki GS450L. A Little twin cruiser. Too sentimental to get rid of it.

I wish it were an old Indian. Now that would be something.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
No Carl....You're thinking way too old...

It is my first ever motorcycle. 1985 Suzuki GS450L. A Little twin cruiser. Too sentimental to get rid of it.

I wish it were an old Indian. Now that would be something.
There are two of them 1 1/2 from my house been covered with tarps for decades look just like they were out for a ride yesterday. I think both were made in the 30's.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
There are two of them 1 1/2 from my house been covered with tarps for decades look just like they were out for a ride yesterday. I think both were made in the 30's.
Drool, drool --
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
N3LYT

New radio IC 7200 just got to play with it a little this afternoon so far I'm very impressed PBT works wonders very good RX audio nice size good camping radio very rugged design quite heavy for it's size. I'll post some more after I figure how it set every thing and try a little DX.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
N8CXX

Quote:
Contest this weekend on HF 15 meters was super hot it was hard to make a contact with so many calling. I'm not a contest fan but it does bring out some rare ones I got a few countries I didn't have. It is hard some times competing with huge antennas and 1500 watts when your bare foot and running dipoles but that makes more fun!
After owning an antenna farm and lots of watts, running barefoot with this Tarheel antenna surely does humble you. I still like contesting. Just not accustomed to making more than one call to work anybody.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
N8CXX

Quote:
New radio IC 7200 just got to play with it a little this afternoon so far I'm very impressed PBT works wonders very good RX audio nice size good camping radio very rugged design quite heavy for it's size. I'll post some more after I figure how it set every thing and try a little DX.
I'd be interested in hearing your comments. I need to upgrade my old IC745-A to something more portable.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8CXX View Post
I'd be interested in hearing your comments. I need to upgrade my old IC745-A to something more portable.
I find my Yeasu FT857D suits me well for portable operation. 100w 160-6m and 50w on 2m & 73cm. Detachable head and CAT/Tuner output ports. I use mine for Field Day as well as at camp in NH.
73!

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
N3LYT

I have a 706 MKII G the IC 7200 is light years beyond that, the filtering is top notch despite what some may say it does have roofing filters and they are adjustable the DPS is in the IF not audio there are no menus to stumble through each button is dual purpose and they match the function so it’s touch for function and hold to adjust the function. I had heard reports of poor TX audio but have gotten nothing but good reports on my audio mind you this is brand new perhaps they have addressed it but it is the same old base station mike that my 30 year old Icom has. I was very impressed with the build quality it is substantial the dang little thing weights 12 + pounds not much plastic to be found here. USB connectivity you do need to go to the Icom site to down load the USB drivers but it’s a simple install the system allows you to get RX-TX audio right from the computer great for digital stuff Draw backs, no tuner, in my case not an issue the LDG tuner I have works fine I understand it won’t with the IC7000. The plug in stuff (power, tuner) holds on for dear life good I guess but bad if you want to cart it off some where you will need a small screw driver to release the power cord and a good grip for the tuner connection. It has no FM so if you want to do repeaters on 6 or 10 it ain’t gonna work. The power connection is different the older connector will not fit. The grounding lug is very poorly placed and requires a screw driver. I am not brand conscious have all kinds of radios but I really think it is a hell of a buy for about a grand it’s a real sleeper I ran maybe 25 countries in a day and an evening and I love it. I have a 706 in the truck and had been using it in the camper but it was a bit of a pain to swap it from the truck so the next camping adventure will include the 7200.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
KG5UN

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8CXX View Post
Man, that 7545 is a heck of a radio, I really liked mine.

that is one of the rigs I should have kept!
2012 Coachmen Freelander 32BH
KG5UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
N3LYT

The radio I was using was an IC737 great old clunker but not real good at noise reduction etc. it is going to be my AM radio for 75M after a lot of mods and a good mike/mixer set up. The ideal is to inject the mixer output into the modulator so we'll see how well I can make the old rice box sound.