Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #21
ke0me

Default apartment stealth antenna

this is kind of highjacking of the thread, but its an antenna question.

for a number of non-serious reasons, we have stopped full-timing for 6 months to be with family in Colorado.

So, today we signed an apartment lease, window sill is about 12 FT off ground, with pine trees close enough to sneak a random length wire out to a tree.

Assuming the DW allows the radio inside the living room, any thoughts about antennas?

we are on level 2 of a 3 level apt bldg.

will a tvi filter be enough to stay out of cable and satellite systems ? Will the problem more likely be in less than adequate shielding in all those Part 15 electronics out there?

where can I get a decent rf ground? not sure if water pipes are copper or plastic, haven't been inside yet.

OR, I could just go out to the storage yard where the trailer is stored and run the generator and operate without anybody around for hundreds of yards.

Just trying to have some ideas for some antenna things to play with over the winter.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #22
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0me View Post
where can I get a decent rf ground? not sure if water pipes are copper or plastic, haven't been inside yet.
That, at least, is easy to check. Use an ohmmeter between the faucet and an electrical outlet's safety ground (not the hot or neutral). If the pipes are metal into the ground, there will be some connectivity; if plastic, basically an open circuit.

Anything less than 1KΩ or so, just about gotta be metal.

In any case it won't be a good RF ground even if copper; but it may serve as a counterpoise anyway. That way, you can help the neighbors wake up in the morning by making their faucets hot with RF.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #23
ke0me

Default Rf

Carl,

The image of my neighbors getting a buzz from the faucets gave me a good laugh to start the day. :-)

I'm just hoping that I don't get a lot of stray RF floating around.

We don't move in til Dec 12, so we have a while to get organized.

Stay tuned for updates!!
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #24
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0me View Post
... neighbors getting a buzz from the faucets ...
Toilets, too ...
Old 11-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #25
JNeeleyW6ZKH

Well have arrived (yesterday) at my boondocking site here in the Mojave Desert near Ridgecrest, CA, and due to the winds blowing 30-35 mph, havent been able to put up an antenna as of yet. Suppose to die down tomorow, but we've heard that before out here... Will use RBN (reverse beacon network) to test signals, if and when I get it going...
2008 Dodge 3500 Diesel Quadcab
Montana 3440RL 5'er
JNeeleyW6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #26
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNeeleyW6ZKH View Post
... Supposed to die down tomorow ...
The wind? Not you, I hope.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #27
ke0me

Default tarheel rf ground

Pretty much decided to go with a little tarheel II antenna for the RV.

Considering mounting a fiberglass/PVC pole on back of 5er (I have lots of support points-ladder, bike rack) to allow the bottom of the antenna to be just above the roof line.

5er construction is aluminum framing, fiberglass and foam bonded panel walls. I assume, although I cant find any on line info, that the roof trusses have some aluminum in them also.

So, where would be the best place to try and develop an RF ground plane for the antenna. NOTE: I say ground plane as I think I need to create an image for the "missing half" of the antenna, so hope that is the correct term.

I have read the K0BG website, and I'm trying to see where I can attach the braids required to bond the frame work of the trailer to the antenna.

The tarheel manual doesn't really cover ground plane requirements
I think a couple of you have screwdriver type antennas, so any help is appreciated.

PS - mounting the antenna on the truck is not planned at this time, just want to operate as MP (mobile parked).
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 06-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #28
JNeeleyW6ZKH

I guess I never got around to telling the story on this operation, so anyway, I finally did get the vertical up in the wind and I did check into the West Coast RV net on 40 meters. Conditions werent the best but at least they heard me. We are about ready to head out for the summer time trips and wanting to come up with something more stable than the mount I had made for the Nov trip, I got to looking at the RV rear and it has a 2 inch hitch mount built in. Went down to Harbor Freight looking for a sleeve to slide in and then just weld a pipe vertically for holding up the antenna. Well they didnt have what I was looking for but did have a hitch mount for a Vise (item 66260) which has a square plate welded to it for mounting a vise. Got it home, mounted a 1-1/4" floor flange plate to it and then screwed in an 18" galvanized pipe. Hit it with some Rust paint and presto....strong and removable mount. Havent tried it out yet, but that will come soon. Can always fall back to the Buddipole if needed.

Montana 3440RL 5'er
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #29
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

That looks really strong, John. I'll bet it works well.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #30
JNeeleyW6ZKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
That looks really strong, John. I'll bet it works well.
It seemed to Carl.... mounted the vertical antenna to it (clone of Comet BHA-250b) this morning, hooked the Icom 7200 w/MFJ tuner and fired it up. Loaded okay on all bands except 75 meters. Condx very poor today here but did hear Steve N5YRJ down near San Diego on 40M AM, so gave him a shout and he said my sigs were decent, even with QSB. I was running 35 watts of carrier with that ricebox. Infact, the vertical element was actually touching a few limbs in the tree, but didnt seem to matter. I was just going to go out and test it somemore, but the thermometer just hit 110 !!! dont think so, hi...
Montana 3440RL 5'er