Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
KF5BET

Default Almost got my antenna back up!!

I took down my damaged ZS6BKW dipole about a month ago and had to rebuild it because of a storm. It is sitting in the garage almost ready to go back up.

Alas it will take at least another month or so. Seems it was time for me to slow way down for awhile.

Last weekend I lost vision in my right eye. Went to the doctor on Monday. He diagnosed me with three tears in my retina with one tear actually detaching. Did laser surgery in the office to "stitch" the tears back into place.

Returned Thursday for a checkup and proceeded to have the news given to me that the laser procedure did not work. They whisked me off to the hospital and performed eye surgery. I have now been at home for four days and must be on my side with my head at a certain angle for at least the next two weeks.

Will do whatever it takes to save the eye (good chances of that) but sure does stink that I have all this free time and no way to be on the air (how cruel is that???).

Just thought I would check in real fast and then head back to the recliner before I get caught being up. Will try and check in periodically.

I guess camping is out for now too.... Do not take your eyesight for granted...
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Good luck Galen! Hope everything turns out OK.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Let me say this about that OUCH!!!!

May your eye heal completely and full vision be restored.

I'm running on half antenna today.... Normally I toss up a 100 foot long wire, but I have a shorter one, about 40-50 feet.. The park has been giving me "Stink" about the long wire, last time I was here they said it was "Interfering with the internet"

The internet problem is now fully diagnosed.. I had my call on my router as the SSID (That has changed) and I set up the router on a channel the park was not using... Well the park router changed channels.. Right on top of me.. This morning it did it again.. I just changed channels for the 2nd time this morning. To insure my wireless router is on a different one than the park.. I'm going to pitch a complaint about that soon. (I already complained about the attitude of the idiot security guard) but it's nice to have the facts.

But this time I tossed up the short antenna.. Here is the current install

I replaced the roof ladder (light weight) on this rig with a nice heavy weight combo ladder, Step/Extension.. Normally he hangs in the extension position, but not extended, on a pair of heavy aluminum "J" hooks on the back of the rig.. (The bottom rests against a shower "Assist" bar, stainless) Well, I hooked a rubber tarp strap to the top of the extension and ran it up, then hooked the ladder back on the hooks. that makes it about 1.5 x the height of the rig (rig is 12.5 feet) that's on the driver's rear corner of the rig.

Under the right front tire is the park-on base for a Sunsetter flagpole, 24-25 feet. The antenna runs from the KAT-1, up to the tarp strap, then on to the flag pole and the last couple feet hang down.

Not nearly as good as the 100' long wire,, but I got to talk to management before I toss that one back up.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
WD8QBQ

Unhappy

Hope everything turns out well for you Galen, I have a similar situation being legally blind in my left eye and then having a scare of floaters and a detached retina in the right. It was quite a scare for us having recently started to fulltime in the bus, my wife doesn't drive it! Things have cleared up for me naturally without treatment and I expect to be released from the doctors in three weeks. I am wishing you the best in your situation as I know exactly how you feel. It's no fun getting old, but it beats the other alternative.

See you soon and out on the road camping too, 73's

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
KF5BET

UPDATE:
I had a Dr. visit today and everything looks really good for the eye. The retina has reattached itself and is nice and smooth. The eye still looks pretty bad (bruised and red) but that will disappear within the next month. I cannot wear contacts yet. The Dr. wants the eye to heal three more weeks before he releases me to get new contacts or glasses. So for the next three weeks I will be "one eyeing it". I am now able to go back to work starting tomorrow. These last three weeks have been agonizing with not being able to do very much.

Was able to do a little hf and 2 mtr but nothing really to speak of. Hopefully that will change in the next month or so.

Jim....Let me know how your visit went...
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
KF5BET

UPDATE:

Well a first for me today! I was finally able (allowed) to try contacts today for the first time. They seem to be doing OK. I will have to work up to wearing them a little at a time. Everything looks really weird right now. I guess my brain has to get used to contacts since I have been wearing glasses for the past couple of months.

I am so thankful that I still have my eyesight. The Dr. has cleared me for 6 months till my next checkup. Maybe the end of this chapter is now in "sight"....
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
KF5BET

Oh yeah...the antenna is still in the garage waiting to be hung back up
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
One Country Boy

Galen,

So glad you received a good report on the eye. That had to be a terrible experience. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
WD8QBQ

Thumbs up

Glad everything is progressing as expected.

Wondering, contacts might be convenient, but wouldn't glasses offer eye protection as well as the vision correction? ..............

JIM
Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
KF5BET

The problem with glasses for me now is that my right eye (the damaged one) now has quite a bit worse vision than the left. The corrective lense for the right eye is now 2 1/2 powers different than the left.

The Dr. is saying that the glasses actually create a microscope effect which in turn makes the eye "look" differently. If you were to look at an object with one eye and then the other, the object would be either smaller or larger depending on the eye because of the corrective lense prescription. The Dr. is telling me that contacts would actually be better because the corrective lense is now on the eye instead of out in front which eliminates the microscope effect.

I do notice a difference in this phenomenon when wearing the contacts. It is just a matter of time for my brain to retrain itself to looking through contacts again. I also have little blisters on the surface of the eye around the perimeter of the eye which are from the surgery and was worried that they might interfere with the contact, but so far it has not been a problem.

I am very blessed that I did not lose the vision. I will not complain one bit either way it goes.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 01-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

Glad to hear that your surgery went well. I wish I could have helped you with your antenna.
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

Well, you must believe in your doctor and what you have told makes sense. Glad It is working out for you.

One further comment though and then I will drop it. Wearing clear glass glasses, that is ones that do not magnify or correct vision would be my choice, for protection reasons. That's what I do.

JIM