Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
electricflyer

Default Another bunch of new hams

Well we just finished another Tech class this Saturday. We had 38 signed up for the class and 13 showed up. Of the 13 that tested 12 passed and one lady went on and passed the General. I was a little concerned about how many would pass the test because the snow storm interrupted the schedule and that meant they were pretty much on their own to study. My family DR was in the bunch, she only missed one question. Her husband works for a hospital in Griffin GA and is developing emergency procedures for the hospital and for every possible event and he told her about the radios in the hospitals so she became very interested in it. I told her I was a volunteer radio operator (ARES) for a hospital in Carrollton GA. I then told her about the class and that got her there.

We start a class for the General license right after the 1st of the year and should have a pretty large group for that. We are planning to have a class for Extra sometime next year but that will be more than the usual 3 sessions.

AND, I see Wade got his license renewal on the 12th of December, good for another 10 years now, and he did it for free, how about that.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:17 AM   #2
Radio
Administrator

We have a 2m machine located right on top of Fayette Piedmont Hospital. The idea is to be able to cover the county with emergency communications with only an HT from inside the hospital.

And the hospital is a fairly tall building that sits on a ridge, so it gets pretty good coverage. And it has emergency power backup!

It's the 146.685 with a 131.8 tone - KK4GQ

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
electricflyer

Regional hospitals are required to have HF/UHF/FHF radios and all other hospitals are required to have UHF/VHF radios. The one I volunteer at in Carroll County is not a regional hospital but it has HF because simplex UHF/VHF is not able to contact another hospital which is needed in an emergency. The regional hospital for us is in Rome GA.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
N3LYT

We have a HARP (N.H. Hospitle Amature Radio Program) radio network in NH with several hospitals involved due to the distances we use repeaters throughout the state it's a good setup, our 3 club repeaters have generator backup as do other repeaters. The HARP members pass both voice and data. There is no requirements for radio types HF etc but they use one type of Icom dual band so they are all the same module makes it easy to solve programing and data issues.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote