Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Dizzy-Dick

Default Antenna Option Questions

I was standing outside my RV trying to figure out a quick way to get an HF antenna added that would not hit the trees and bridges along my travels and still produce a usable signal. Well, my son stopped by and asked what I was doing, so I told him I was thinking about mounting insulated spacers along my rain gutters and run a loop of wire around the roof.

Well, he suggested why go to all the trouble of making insulated spacers when the the rain gutters where aluminum, just tie into them.and use them as radiators. They are between 25 and 29 feet long seperated by 8.5 feet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether that will work? Or if they could be tied together and used in parallel? I am running an Icom 706MKIIG with a LDG Electronics Z100 Autotuner.

When I had a bumber pull, I ran a Hustler tri-bander on the rear tow vehicle bumber and mag-mounts on the roof for vhf & uhf.

Any suggestrions would be helpfull, this is my first motorhome.

73's and happy camping,
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

I'd first check for DC connectivity to ground. Cound be a rivet touched the frame. After that, I'd tinker with it and see what it does.

What do you have to loose?

And you can blow away all TV reception in a campground and no one will know its you!

Another loop idea would be to glue PVC stand offs to the top of the rig and run a wire loop aound that way.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Dizzy-Dick

Thanks Radio,

I will give it a try, may have to wait a few days, still do some work so I can pay my bills. I will post the results after I try it out.

I think a loop would work better, what do you think? I could start off by trying the two rain gutters and then tie the non-fed ends togeter and make a loop (sort of). Gee, I wish I had more time to tinker. If that works, then I could glue the supports on the roof. I do like loop antenae. Used to have a Maco boomless tri-band quad that out did my friend's Mosely tri-bander yaggi and I didn't have to put it up very high.

73's
Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
w6pea

Dizzy
You could use a couple of Hustler shafts mounted to your rear bumper. I found this site that might helphttp://www.k0bg.com I feel that they is a lot of good info there.

Good luck
73 de w6pea
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
w7wv

It made me think and I went out and checked. Mine are grounded as most are screwed into the metal framing which is welded to the chassis.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer
Default rain gutter useage

Dizzy, I used the area just under the rain gutter for a radial for a Littl Tarheel screwdriver on my 35' Winnie. My gutter has a second round groove to insert awning fabric just under the drip rail. Depending on how your awnings are mounted, You may be able to run a piece of #12 Thhn or similiar into the groove on either side and see if you can load it? 73/John
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Dizzy-Dick

Just a quick update.

I didn't have time to try out anything elaborate. I was really busy and left March 12 for a 2 1/2 week trip. I have a class-C built on a Ford E450, so the hood is slanted forward. I got a couple of "unter the hood" mounts and stuck a duel band VHF/UHF antenna in the left one and a 20 meter ham stick in the right one.

The UHF/VHF worked great and the fust time I turned the rig on HF, Romania was booming in. Too busy fighting 60 mph cross winds to answer, but it seemed to work as well as can be expected. The forward slant tilts the antennae forward enough to clear the over the cap compartmant.

By the way, I left Cut & Shoot, TX, drove up through north-west TX, through Abilene and Cloves, (not much of anything up that way). Went through Albuquerque and out to Gallup, where we visited a couple days with wife's cousin. Went to Hobart and down through Payson to Fountain Hills, a beautiful trip. Took the Jeep and went from Apache Junction to Totilla Flats, the most beautiful ride you could take. We ended up in the Ghost town of Stanton for a G.P.A.A. & L.D.M.A. common "gold dig". Came home via Interstate 10. Cut off west of San Antonio and went through Fredercksburg, Johnson Cit, Basstrop, and on in to Cut & Shoot. Nice trip. Finished it off by taking my Grandson to the NHRA Top Fuel Drag races at Baytown. He had never seen a car go over 300 mph in the quarter mile. They hit 100 mph in one second. Fantastic!!

Had a great trip other than a couple cold and windy days,
Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Richard Stouffer

I've been wondering about using flat copper tape adhered (somehow) to the fiberglass roof of mine. I think that principle is akin to what the Air Force did on the supersonic bomber. I can't remember the material they used, but it was on the vertical stabilazor.

Anybody hear of anyone using copper or other conductive tape?
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
w6pea

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Dizzy
You could use a couple of Hustler shafts mounted to your rear bumper. I found this site that might helphttp://www.k0bg.com I feel that they is a lot of good info there.

Good luck
73 de w6pea
Boy I should edit my post for spelling
I was wondering.....On my p/u I use a AH4 tuner IC706MKIIG......with a 102" s/s whip. has anyone tried adding length to this set up? I was thinking of adding 50ft. to maybe 100ft. Being as the AH4 is a wire tuner, it probably would work well I hope
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
k8zfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Another loop idea would be to glue PVC stand offs to the top of the rig and run a wire loop aound that way.
Has anyone ever done this with decent results?

tnx de k8zfj
k8zfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well... When Parked I use an assortement of long wires mostly, (if there are trees handy) else a Hustler 4BTV sans the capacity hat, all are fed by a KAT-1 auto-tuner

I'm thinking about adding a "luggage rail" to the roof of the rig, this will be on about 3" stand offs about 12 feet above bround, likely between 35 and 40 feet long,painted shiny black (to contrast with the bright white roof) and made of 1/2 inch copper tubing (what else) I already have the copper... I've just not gotten the old 'Round tuit" yet

That is one rail, the other side should be seening about a 20 meter dipole (or a 10 with some insulated sections) I have the dipoles.. I've a very handy cable path or two
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
I've been wondering about using flat copper tape adhered (somehow) to the fiberglass roof of mine. I think that principle is akin to what the Air Force did on the supersonic bomber. I can't remember the material they used, but it was on the vertical stabilazor.

Anybody hear of anyone using copper or other conductive tape?
I know it's been done with VHF/UHF - to make antennas on glass for example - and there's no reason to think you could not do it with HF - if you did a loop around you could do it open-jaw [like a halo] or a true loop I guess.

The only caveat I'd raise is that most of the copper foil I've seen [which is what my wife uses for stained glass making] that is self-adhesive is pretty thin - I might worry about high current points melting it to be honest - I have no idea if this is a real danger or not, but I would think about it.

You could also try taping down a wire loop as an experiement - use packing tape or something like that? I don't know what would be appropriate up on that location.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

What I have now is a KAT-1 Auto Tuner (Marine grade version) on the back,outside, of the house on wheels... IT is currently feeding a long wire strung among the trees

Options include a 35' (electrical"push up pole, a old 4BTV without capacity hat and soon, a luggage rail on the roof,,, I've built the stand offs (Assorted plastics) just need to bold it down and seal it.. The KAT feeds them all (KAT = Kenwood Antenna Tuner or K Auto T)

Where I'm parked at just now I got to string my longest spool of wire, 80 is booming in, 40 not bad 10 deader than a door nail.. The 4btv is not very good on 80, the push up pole is better, but still not as good as 100' of copper
Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
wa8yxm

That is fairly close to what I plan on doing.. However I have a suggestion.. Instead of wire use 1/2 inch hard copper tubing and paint it.. "Stealth" antenna, will look like luggage rails

Also with 1/2 inch diamater "Wire" the tuning will be nice and b-r-o-a-d instead of tight