Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #21
N3LYT

I lost track of who is making what I have a Buffalo Tools 2KW generator that's maybe 10 years old and the Champion one looks exactly like it today. So who really does make them? The Champion ones seem to get good reviews guess that's saying some thing.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #22
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Oh I recall those compressed air starters... Short version.. I was standing by a Semi Tractor that had one when the owner cranked it up.

I can guess,, that poor guy had to go back for his shoes and socks he jumped so fast/high.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #23
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Is this the same one, for less?

eBay listing
May be the same "guts" but some features are different.

1. No RV outlet on this one.
2. No 240/120 selector switch
3. It does have duplex outlet for regular 120, instead of just one 20A rated outlet.
4. The frame seems taller on the Champion so that the fuel tank is better protected, for what that's worth.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
N3LYT

Champion seems to lean towards the RV crowd and provides a 30 amp RV outlet on the generators that will power it.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #25
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
May be the same "guts" but some features are different.
Yah, having the 30A outlet is worth some bucks. The outlet itself is rather costly if you buy it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

All of those that look like this are made in China nowadays, I think. They're all copies of a Honda -- or at least the engine is, including the air cleaner and muffler. You can even install Honda parts on the copy, or Chinese parts on the Honda. If I remember, the Honda prototype is Model GX630 and is available with or without electric start. In my experience the Chinese engine is every bit as good, every bit as reliable, and about one-sixth the price. I've owned two of these Chinese copies (with different brand names but clearly identical), one without and one with electric start. Each always started instantly. The non-electric-start one was stolen, and probably is still serving the thief. The other one went with that Class B when I sold it, lives in Texas now, and has never once failed to start instantly, in any weather including butt-freezing cold.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #26
N3LYT

There is a MH that comes to the big hamfest in NH he has a small 2K knock off Honda mounted on the back bumper there has been no provision of any sort to protect it from the weather it is rusty nasty and beat up but he gets her started on the second pull and the lights come on!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #27
Radio
Administrator

Went out and got the generator wheel kit and some extension cords. Mapped out a plan to provide power to the fridge and a few things downstairs. So now as far as backup power is concerned, we are ready.

Even got 20 gallons of gas at $1.99.

The guy at Tractor Supply said "you know if you prepare well enough, it will never come."

Suits me.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #28
Radio
Administrator

There's a bit of winter weather headed here, finally, or again depending on how you look at it. So I figured I'd take the generator out of the box and put the wheels on it. Now the basement/man cave/radio room smells like a Tractor Supply Co. store. It sort of gives that little testosterone rush when you go down there. Hmm, that and a little snow...

The kit goes on in about 20 minutes. Way better to install it BEFORE adding oil and gas to the generator as it needs to be tipped over on it's end to install the wheels.

The kit comes with a 12/14 mm wrench. You'll also need pliers. 12 mm socket/ratchet is even better. The instructions are reasonably clear but omit the fact there are little rubber feet on the generator that must be removed and there will be some hardware left over.

The helpful young man at TSC will tell you there is no oil in the new generator (correct) but the generator comes with oil in the crate. (wrong) You'll need some 10W30 engine oil.

Now that I'm prepped, it ain't gonna snow.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #29
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Now that I'm prepped, it ain't gonna snow.
Don't bet on it. Anyway, you could go to Texas for a while. Talking to old friend WI5G I learned that it's 26 degrees at his house, and he can't get into his pickup 'cuz there's an inch of ice on it. That'll test your prep.