Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
WD8QBQ

Wink Where Is Your RV Ham Shack and How Do You Go About Not Disturbing Other Occupants????

Looking for ideas, insight and opinions on where to locate and how to go about HF Haming in an RV space shared with a non Ham XYL. I'm talking about voice, not CW.

I have decided to only operate when parked, but am wondering about not disturbing others in the early morning or late at night with, ...... well you know what.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
AE5BI

DW is licensed but is a "reluctant ham" so I can relate. Our RV is our home and office. We took the dining table out and put in two desks. My desk doubles as my shack.

Morning QSOs don't bother her but I have, in the past, dangled the mic. and speaker out the window - to the outdoor living space if she is watching TV. I also have a setup where I can operate the TS2000 from my TH-D7(A)G. See my Ham page for details of my setup.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
WD8QBQ

Thanks for the show and tell Steve, nice setup!

Good idea about through the window, but how do you change frequencies, or is it for rag a chew? I was thinking about an antenna switch and carrying the rig outside.

JIM
Old 12-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

My operating position is out in the middle of the living room.

Propagation is so poor lately I'm not on all that much anyway.

Note Sweet Wife's traveling mascot at the top of the picture. She teaches orchestra, and the part of the Violin bow you hold on to is called the "frog." Hence our mascot.

Note that I use headphones and a MFJ "voice keyer" so that cuts down the noise by a significant factor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DauphinIslOpp.jpg (40.7 KB, 204 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
WD8QBQ

Thumbs up

Nice setup Wade. Thanks for the tips.

JIM
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8QBQ View Post
Looking for ideas, insight and opinions on where to locate and how to go about HF Haming in an RV space shared with a non Ham XYL. I'm talking about voice, not CW.

I have decided to only operate when parked, but am wondering about not disturbing others in the early morning or late at night with, ...... well you know what.

JIM
Jim,

Since I am not full time as we have too much to take care of and the wife isn't retired, my shack is in my stick built. so I suppose the rest of my post is not to the point.

We moved my then 83 year old father in law into the garage, of course after we converted it into a nice little apartment for him. In doing so we needed a new garage so we built one behind the old one that is now "Grandpa's" apartment. We built a breezeway between his back door and the new garage with a room off the breeze way.

I claimed that room as mine and now my radio equipment is in there. The room is 9 x 13 and on the other side of the wall is grandpa's bedroom. But my F-I-L is deaf or nearly so,(won't wear his hearing aids) and I never seem to bother him. If I did, it would be a simple thing to soundproof that wall. To return to my part of the house I can go out and around to a couple of other doors to get in.

It is an unfinished work in progress. I can get out there and get on the air, but that isn't all I wanted to do in that room.

Because my hobbies and things come last around here. Between my own health issues, the taking care of the F-I-L, being chief cook and bottle washer, and of course the honey do list which is longer because I am retired and my wife still works. Right now it is unheated so it is hard to get it up to a comfortable heat range.

Someday I'll get it the way I want it.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Jim,

Right now it is unheated so it is hard to get it up to a comfortable heat range.
Dan, what you need is a couple of old tube type rigs and a 1.5kw tube amp. That'll warm up the shack for ya! Hi Hi! Those little ceramic heaters work well too.
My shack at camp (park model, no more trailer) is on the enclosed porch on a small table next to the guest futon. So, even though I use headphones, the guests will just have to put up with my CQs or wear earplugs.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
AE5BI

I think I can change frequencies with Sky Command but I am not a contester and usually just chat.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG

Guinness the cat

AE5BI
Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
WD8QBQ

Question

What is sky command?

JIM
Old 12-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
AE5BI

Sky Command is a proprietary communication between Kenwood radios. There is also another way with these particular radios but I can't remember what it is called and I don't think you can change frequencies with it. I don't use the communication setups very often. I once set them up for APRS between them but I haven't used it since I can't hike anymore.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG

Guinness the cat

AE5BI
Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
WD8QBQ

Interesting

JIM
Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
One Country Boy

I've got a Kenwood TS450S and a 2 meter rig I haul around in the 5er. I ham from the bedroom. The radios on one end of the dresser. I have a photo somewhere. I don't do any late night hamming so it's not a problem.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Radioman

I have an Ft-857 with an Atas 120 ant and a Kenwood "710" with a magmount mounted in the toad. It's there fulltime even though we don't fulltime !
I carry with us a go kit comprised of an Icom 7000 with a tuner, battery, power supply,
and 3 different antenna set ups including 40 ft mast that telescopes from the ladder for a wire or hamsticks.
Rich KC8HMJ in Michigan
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well... I too was concerned about finding a spot for the TS-2000 where it would not bother the wife... So I looked at my house on wheels and realized that there was indeed a small room (And I might add a somewhat larger room) with it's own door that I could close to block sound

What's more in my house the 12 volt distribution panel is on the other side of one of that room's walls (that is the back of the panel is inside a cabinet in that room) so I had lots, and lots of battery voltage (and I might add the 120v panel is right below the 12V panel, same cabinet) and other power there.

Plus.. You ever have that problem of checking into a net and when the NCS says "Stand by ... you" you feel a sudden and strong urge to visit a specific chair in your motor home..... Well... That's the chair I sit on when I operate (The one with the SeaLand label on it) so I never miss my turn due to that problem HI.

Now the somewhat larger room has a Tethford macerator version of that same chair so wife is not bothered by my being on the radio, instead of the throne She uses the biger room)

It also means I check into a net or two I'd not have found if I was not sitting on the operator's seat... For other reasons... long about 2-8 AM (pick any time in that bracket) Bunch of nice folks on the Before Breakfast Club (3-5 but pre-net starts earlier) or Breakfast club (5-8 am) Times are Eastern.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
W7PSK

I do mostly PSK-31 ... So all she hears is CLICK CLICK CLICK of the keyboard.
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well, that too, though I do a few SSB nets from time to time

Cans help too (headphones for you younger folks) that way she does not hear the radio.. Just my voice.

I use cans on the breakfast club and B-4 Breakfast club

(Wear cans while I'm sitting on the.... well you get the idea)
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #17
AE5BI

I could always go sit in the Toad (Towed) where I have an iCom 706. I've done that before too.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG

Guinness the cat

AE5BI
Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
wa8yxm

One of the fun things I have done with my RV's radios is set 'em up in cross band repeater mode.. Then I can go sit most anywhere nearby with by FT-51R and take advantage of the power of the MH's radios (Up to 100 watts).

What's even more fun though is sitting there, say in Los Vegas, with the FT-51R (What, 5 watts max) chatting on 70cm with hams half way around the world (IRLP) but .. That's another thread.

I think cans (headphones) are about the best option for non-disturbing of others. Epically if the band is noisy

Wife asks why sometimes the radio is clear and sharp and sometimes noisy... (Humm, TS-2000, "SUB" receiver is usually very clear, sharp and 2-mtr FM (or 70cm) Main is usually set to SSB mode)
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
W6CD
Escondido, CA

I set up radio equipment on the dash, in front of the passenger front seat. It's a decent sized area and a comfy chair. Fully out of the way of anything else in the RV. Cables enter the passenger side window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash shack setup.jpg (45.6 KB, 66 views)
W6CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
wa8yxm

My Intruder is a bath and a half/ham shack model. Since the half bath has a door I can close, it makes it much nicer, I use headphones as well when listening on occasion. (Depending on signal quality and things)

Another option.... They used to sell a fairly heavy insulated curtain that one could use to section off the "Cockpit" from the rest of the house. This way when driving you could section off the cockpit and the dash air (or heat) would be way more effective... Same should work for sound deadening if you put the station in the cockpit.

One additional advantage of the half-bath shack.... Ever check into a net and when the NCS says "Go ahead___ and stand by __your call__" you get that sudden urge to go sit somewhere... Else?

I have.. Except.. That happens to be where I'm already sitting so I don't miss my turn.