Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Jpatrickc

Default Campgrounds near Dayton,OH?

I have been to the Dayton Hamfest several times, but that was before I got a 5th wheel. Where have people stayed with their RV's near the fest?
I prefer state parks and the natural setting if there are any nearby.
I think I would like to go next year and figured since the fest was just a few weeks ago this would be a good time to start planning.

Pat, WA3UOE
Jpatrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I have stayed (during Hamvention in 2012) at Poor Farmer's RV Park in Fletcher OH.

Pros: It's quiet, never crowded, never full. It's fairly cheap, $25 a night a couple years ago. The water ain't bad. There are 50 amp and 30 amp hookups. If you're close enough (50 yd) to the office, you can get free wi-fi. There are things like Walmart and acceptable restaurants in nearby Piqua. The park has public showers.

Cons: No sewer hookup. There's a guy who goes around and pumps you out, $10 a whack, not too bad and you needn't be there, no muss, no fuss. It's something like 30 miles to the Hamvention, but it's 30 easy miles. There is no laundromat at the park, nor in Piqua, the nearest quaint little town. There's one in Troy, the next town south, though, findable by GPS if you get the address through Google.

Bottom line: unless you reserve 18 months in advance, this is the closest you're going to get anyway, and it's actually rather pleasant and bucolic. The terrain is hilly, but many of the sites are level, and it's never full; you can always get in. When I was there, the nearest other RV was about 100 feet away. Most of the people in the park will be there for the weekend, and are not hams, and perhaps have never heard of the Hamvention.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Welcome aboard, Pat.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
electricflyer

The closest RV campground would be the Tall Timbers KOA at Brookville, OH. It is probably already booked up for next years Hamfest but you can give it a try. If you were in the military you may be able to find a spot at Wright Patterson AFB. John Bryan State Park in Yellow Springs, OH just south of Springfield is another possibility, check to see if they have RV sites. Other than that there are a couple RV sites between Springfield and Dayton on the East side and a couple more near Richmond, IN, only about 35 miles west of Englewood, OH. I used to lived in Englewood for 18 years and the KOA seems to be the campground everyone tries to get into for Hamfest, it's only about 6 miles from Hara Arena. I have a couple private places with fiends and can park but no hook ups.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
electricflyer

I just looked at www.allstays.com and saw that the Darke County Fairgrounds has ample sites. They show 600 rv sites with 200 of them being full hookup and the rest with electric and water. They don't take reservations, first come first serve. Cost is $20 per night/ $120 a week for any site. It would be about 35 miles away up Highway 49 north. If you come in a day or two early you should be able to get a place there. You can go to www.darkecountyfair.com/camping.htm for the information. The fair grounds is used for a lot of events so you may want to call them to see if the RV sites will be busy. They are open most of the spring, summer and fall. It won't be a resort setting but reasonable cost and level sites.
Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote