Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT
Cool Wiring a Converter Charger

This video helped me understand how all of the RV electrical systems work together. It is a little shaky, and the narrator rambles quite a bit, but it was still educational for me.

Wiring a Converter Charger

Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

This one is even better, and is professionaly filmed...

DIY Power Systems
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

Old 12-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Good View Chris, BUT.
One thing not mentioned was, before cutting or un-screwing wires from the old converter "TAG" the wire as what wire went where and the amperage fuse that was used on that circuit , saves a bit of guess work and $$ for fuses later sorting things out.
I know that this seems pretty "ELEMENTARY" but you can bet there are those out there that will not do the obvious and wonder why they are blowing fuses.

"You Can't Fix Stupid" - Ron White
;-))
Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9WLS View Post
I know that this seems pretty "ELEMENTARY" but .......
That sounds a whole lot like my advice to folks disconnecting their batteries PAINT THE POSITIVE CABLES RED and the negative ones black..

Yes, the things that are MOST likely to trip us up are teh "Elementary" things such as what you posted..

It is thus good that you reminded us of it.

That said.. On my converter, the positive wire is already RED, no need to paint it (And the negative black) but when it comes to motor homes.. Having the proper colors is.. Frankly... AMAZING.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9WLS View Post
...before cutting or un-screwing wires from the old converter "TAG" the wire as what wire went where and the amperage fuse that was used on that circuit...
Brilliant! Good point...a little masking tape and a permanent marker will save a lot of time and headache!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

I have installed my new charger converter. The old one was OEM Progressive Dynamics 15 amp model, circa 1987, and no longer functional. The new charger converter is a PD4045 45 Amp Inteli-Power Mighty Mini Power Center. I also replaced the exhausted house batteries with two new 875 cold cranking amp marine batteries. I know that 6 volt golf cart batteries might have been better, but they are much more expensive, and I don't think we are likely to do a lot of boondocking. With the new power center, and batteries, and along with the genset, and new vent free heater, we are ready for power failures, bad weather, whatever!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
KF5BET

Way to go Chris....Good luck with the new setup!!!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Oldmax
Dale - N8SAC

My camper is a 1985 model Yellowstone it ahs a 30 amp converter in it. while trading for a 4KW Kohler GEN SET I also got the AC-DC power center out of the motorhome I has AC breakers DC fuses and Converter . Put up in case something happens to the one in camper. Will be using the GEN SET on the back bumper on camper. With a new bumper of course. will take pictures when complete.
Oldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
Oldmax
Dale - N8SAC

O all campers I have seen the Neg wires are white. same as netural on AC in camper.
Oldmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, converter, video, wiring, youtube