Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
Default Self Sealing Tape

The below link will show you some OUTSTANDING tape, It is rather Pricey but very good stuff, I have used this for years to protect high voltage connections (6000 volt's and down).
Stretch slightly as you make the wrap and then give it a squeeze with your hand (for mild heat)and then apply a wrap or two of black tape (Scotch 33 or equiv.) to protect the yellow.
When or if you need to take it off just "scratch" the length of the wrap through the yellow with a razor knife and it will almost peel itself off (even years later) and the connection will be just as clean and dry as when you made it in the first place ( if you did the wrapping right of course), excellent for coax connections, wire nuts , lug connections , splices .
NO, I don't own any stock in the company (wish I did).

http://www.tpcwire.com/ItemForm.aspx...8-0b59d2d05c9a
Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There is a new product "Rescue Tape" is one brand, Silicon or silicone tape (I can never recall which) seals tightly and is much cheaper, comes in smaller rolls though.. Radio Shack used to have it.

Ther is also a product called "Antenna Tape" or "Coax Tape" (Forget which, which sounds a lot like this stuff only in black.

I took a look at the PDF product description on the linked to web page... I have to say I like the triangle cross section on this tape better than the above products I think it would make a better seal.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

I've used this tape on coax connectors for several years now making a single wrap of the yellow followed by an over-wrap of black (to protect the yellow) with no trouble or leak's what so ever.
This tape is pretty "pricey" , but you don't realize just how good it is until you've worked with it a bit.
And it is a whole lot easier to get off a connector that the sticky "Coax Seal" or older "Rubber Putty" type tape that is marketed.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
K4AC

I've been using 3M Temflex for about 5 years and am well pleased with it. It is self-fusing rubber electrical tape. While its rating is only 600 volts, it is far more than adequate for weatherproofing connectors.

Lowes carries it: http://www.lowes.com/pd_78453-98-215...ductId=3129711 $2.29 for a 3/4" x 22' roll.

I use it the same way as John uses the tape he described (put it on the connection and cover with standard electrical tape). I usually follow up with a coating of liquid electrical tape just to make sure there is no possibility of water intruision; it also helps in making sure that the ends of the tape stay down in windy conditions.

I've taken apart connections that were 4-5 years old and they looked just like the day they were first made.

Doug
K4AC
K4AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I might add, I've had to break down a connection that was sealed with the Rescue tape due to other issues.

When I pulled the tape off, it was as bright and shiny as the day I broke open the factory packaging... That stuff seals tight.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
KC1BUD

Would this be the same stuff at $1.97 each?

Or this at $3.94 Each?

Both claim to be sealing tapes of sorts.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Default RE: Sealing Tape

Dan:
Not quite the same thing as I posted.
Has a similar effect though and for quick, temporary fixes is good.
Don't take me wrong, "3M" makes a good product , and I have / Do use quite a few of them.
Over time (and Temperature) the "2242" seems to "DRY-OUT" making it brittle and crack and sometimes hard to remove and clean up (we've tried it in several applications).
For short term fixes it is alright but for long term I much prefer the "Vulko-Wrap" which I have never seen become brittle or dry-out even after years of high temp. exposure.

Tags
electrical, electrical maintance