Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
N7ULC

Default Cameleon Antenna on RV

I recently purchased a V2 Cameleon brand antenna and have it mounted to a pole about 20 feet off the ground and attached to my ladder for support. I've run ground braid from inside in back of the radio out to a gas line pipe but haven't as yet grounded the antenna it's self. Seems to hear pretty well but swr is not as good as I would like. I run an 857 with a y100 tuner just barefoot. Any ideas as to how to improve the out put performance?
N7ULC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ULC View Post
I've run ground braid from inside in back of the radio out to a gas line pipe but haven't as yet grounded the antenna it's self.
I do hope you a 'joshing' about connecting it to a gas line......I cant tell you how many codes I believe would be in violation with that setup. I believe that gas line (Propane?) if on an RV is isolated from the chassis via rubber mounts, at least everyone I ever owned did, which doesnt provide any method of ground, RF or electrical.. Run that ground strap to the frame or chassis, which is at least going to some sort of ground via the Shore Power line, even though marginal, sure better than an 'explosive' ground...

73 de John W6ZKH
2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
W5DOK
Old Member

I have my antenna on a short pole that just clears the roof line of the motor home, attached to the rear ladder for support. Both antenna and pole are grounded to the frame of the coach. The radio (Icom 736) is not grounded. My SWR is flat across all bands without using the on board tuner in the radio. The antenna that is up today is a Tarheel 200 screwdriver, and it talks to whatever it hears. Output from the Icom is a flat 100 watts. When I'm where I have a little more room, I mount my Comet CHA 250 to the pole with the same results. This setup works well for me.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

The Cameleon V2 IS a "COMPROMISE" at best antenna, do'es it work...... well sort of .
A good ground is the key factor with this antenna , another factor is the tuner used with it .
There is only so much you can do (or expect to do ) with a 102" radiator no mater what the tuning system.
IMHO you would be much better off with a long wire (43 foot or better) than this antenna, I wouldn't exactly call it an "AIR COOLED DUMMY LOAD" but close.
There is no one "PERFECT ANTENNA" especially where mobile operation is involved, but you can do a lot better with a lot less $$ involved.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Radio
Administrator

N7ULC...

Welcome to ORR.net. Feel free to jump right in and join the ruckus.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
N7ULC

Default Cameleon Antenna

Well today I took the ground and connected it to the frame of the RV, didn't improve SWR but probably a better ground. Also grounded the antenna it's self to this same braid. I'll try disconnecting grounds from the radio etc. and see what if anything that does for me. Last resort I have another antenna to try out that is more or less a folded diapole type.

Thanks for the info and feedback so far at least has given me some options to try.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

I guess in all fairness I should say, these antennas do work too some degree.
They don't do too bad on 70cm- about 12 meters , but for the rest of HF are very finicky and narrow banded when you can get them to tune.
I have had 3 people locally ( within a 50 mile radius ) that have bought these things, followed the instructions to the letter and been very unhappy with the end result and fought them to the point of nearly making a pretzel out of them .
I have had "HANDS-ON" experience with all three and cannot say that I would buy one for for anything beyond a single band antenna (a little pricey for that).
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
W5DOK
Old Member

The problem that we have as RVing hams is space. At the home QTH, I have a Thunderbird TH7, a SteppIR, a 640, and various and sundry other antennas that cover a lot of geography. Unfortunately, I don't know of a single RV park that would allow me to put up one of these antennas, so I'm stuck with trying to make do with something small and portable. At the last field day that I attended, one of the guys brought in a tower in the back of a trailer and erected it. Worked great, but not very practical in a RV situation. The very best that we can do, for the most part, is to assemble a compromise antenna that will allow us to communicate. As always, I'm very appreciative of all the suggestions and ideas that you guys furnish. BTW, last night, I talked to Southern Italy off my screwdriver on 40 meters. Not too shabby for a glorified dummy load.
Happy travels.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Nothing wrong with a "screwdriver", I use a TH-2 on the pick-up behind the 857 and it work's fine.
The good thing about screwdrivers is that they are easily tuned , and if worked against a good ground they do a fair job.
I'd like to try one on the house (all steel) just foe the sake of doing it.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

As a full time RVer I am using a set of Homebrew hamstick ripple antennas. They take up very little space and the MFJ HamTennas only cost about $15 each. Of course the shortened dipoles are a compromise but the the advantages are:

No ground plane issues
No real estate required
Can be used without a tuner
rotatable for directionality (I rotate mine manually)
Simple push up pole will do fine
Super low noise

The disadvantages:

Will not perform as well as a full length dipole
Manual antenna changes to change bands
Not a good idea for mobile use (keep your screwdriver or 102" whip for that)
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
N7ZAL

Enjoying the discussion and I'm always looking a better antenna solutions. I have a tri-band Hustler mounted to the luggage rack, which is connected to the ladder, which is connected to the frame. Performance is poor and I saw a dipole configuration using "HamSticks" in another thread. Figured I'd give that a try and have ordered them for 20 and also a telescoping mast. With the mast I might be able to run a regular sloping dipole....but not for 40 meters. Real estate is always a problem for me.

The odd thing is that I'm at an altitude of 7,777 ft. and thought that would give me an advantage....but not so far
https://southwestwoodcrafts.com
N7ZAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
N7ULC

Default Cameleon Antenna

Well today I put up a folded dipole and easily talked into NM on their 75 meter net. Best signal and output I've had, kept the cameleon up to use on 2m /440 on local repeaters. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions as have made some changes for the better and now so long as the wind doesn't take it out, a really good antenna that on initial try seems to work extremely well.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ULC View Post
Well today I put up a folded dipole.
Did you make it or did you buy it?

If you made it can you post plans if you bought it what is it?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote