Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
KF5BET

Default New to Ham

Hey everyone:

My daughter and I just got our Tech licenses. We took a class together through her school science class.

Wanted to get into ham radio for a long time, just never did.

Was cruising around RV.net and ran into a link to this forum.

Great idea and glad to be a part of it. I expect to learn a lot from all of you.

Got a 2 meter radio for the truck, looking for a handheld for DD (told her I would buy her a radio if she passed and she did!) Will have to save pennies (and quarters) for home setup.

Galen KF5BET

My daughter Abbi is KF5BEW
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Welcome to ORR.net! There's a bunch of interesting and helpful people here on the forum.

Feel free to jump in anytime!

BTW...that's an interesting set of callsigns...did you type them in right?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Welcome to the ORR forum Galen and Abbi. Great bunch of people here and a lot of info too. Your calls come up as France, are you from there? Or are these new/special calls for USA?
Andy - n1ork
SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

You might wish to look at a Kenwood TH-D7A. Now, I can not really recommend this radio over any other radio out there... But should you upgrade (And even if you do not) the TH-D7A is kind of unique among handhelds in that if you pop a TS-2000 in your rig (or park next to a ham who will authorize you) you can control the TS-2000 using the D7A via Kenwood's "Sky Command" features

I can do limited control of the D7a with my Yesau hand held, but the Kenwood D7A is closer to a true 2-way remote control,,,, Transmit, Receive, change bands or frequencies or even modes all from the hand held, even turn the radio off I think (though ON is not possible)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
One Country Boy

Good morning Galen,

Welcome to the ORR forum and congratulations to you and your Abbi. How old is Abbi ? My son and nephew studied together one summer a few years back and got their tech tickets. My son was 15 and the nephew 14. Always gives us a boost to have our kids following in our footsteps. It made me think I may have done something right. My son went on to get his General ticket. I urge you and Abbi to do the same. It's a most enjoyable hobby and a great public service when needed. Did a local club promote the science class to do this ? How many new hams did the science class produce ? I'm just full of questions. I think it's great. Amateur radio is not as popular as it once was. I'm told most new hams are in the 50's to 60's, so it nice to have young folks getting involved.

Welcome to the group and just give a call if we can be of assistance. Good bunch here and someone usually has an answer. Most of the time it's correct too.

Jim

PS ~ Happy Memorial Day everyone !!!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
KF5BET

Well...I feel like the village idoit. Our call signs are not as stated. Mine is KF5BET and Abbi's is KF5BEW. Where the FT came from I haven't a clue..

We just got our callsigns last thursday..So I hope all of you will forgive me.

I am 41 and Abbi is 12.

We really enjoy camping and now we see a place to enjoy both hobbies.

Anybody know how to change your username, or am I stuck with the idiot name I gave myself.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

can do.

I just sent you a PM. Let me know what you want it to be and I can change it for you.

and WELCOME

greg

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
KF5BET

Jim:

Just got home from work, so can answer your questions.

Yes a local ham club did sponsor the class (Acadiana Amateur Radio Association, Inc.) They taught the class at our local Children's Museum where they have a shack set up.

There were 14 students and 2 dads in this last class. There were 6 who passed the Technician test (both dads and 4 students). Most of the students took the class as a required physics project for their 6th grade science class. Abbi had already done her project, but wanted to take this class as well (I just tagged along because I wanted too!)

Hopefully we will get radios fairly soon and then we can really start learning. I downloaded echolink to the computer, but still have to get it all worked out.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I might be asking a lot of questions real soon. I do plan on joining the local club here as well.

Galen
Old 05-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Jim:

Just got home from work, so can answer your questions.

Yes a local ham club did sponsor the class (Acadiana Amateur Radio Association, Inc.) They taught the class at our local Children's Museum where they have a shack set up.

There were 14 students and 2 dads in this last class. There were 6 who passed the Technician test (both dads and 4 students). Most of the students took the class as a required physics project for their 6th grade science class. Abbi had already done her project, but wanted to take this class as well (I just tagged along because I wanted too!)

Hopefully we will get radios fairly soon and then we can really start learning. I downloaded echolink to the computer, but still have to get it all worked out.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I might be asking a lot of questions real soon. I do plan on joining the local club here as well.

Galen

Galen,

Please do not feel bad about the call sign thing. I had WB4QBW since about 1970. I never liked the call. It was terrible when running CW and giving it out phoenetically was even a pain when using voice. After some consideration I changed my call recently to my current call of W4EWA. A good CW call (in my opinion) and when you drop the 4, it is the nick-name for the small town I live near, Wewahitchka. Wewahitchka is normally called Wewa by the locals because most people cannot pronounce the indian name. Anyway, I said all thay to say; At time I'm have a bad time saying my new myself when operating voice. I've screwed it up on several occassions, so don't worry about the confusion on your calls.

I think that is admirable of you and the other father taking the time to go through the course to get your licenses. It says a lot about you. Tell Abbi, if she is interested to create an identity and jump right in here too. I assure you this is a good bunch of guys. I don't think we have any YL's on the forum, she would be the first. We're kinda small but growing. ORR is "Radio's" brainchild and he, Greg and Mike do a great job with the forum. I can't say enough good things about them.

I'm just full of questions Galen. What do you do to bring home the bread up there ? I retired the end of July, 2005 after spending a number of years in law enforcement. I'm in the Florida panhandle, 25 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and 25 miles east of Panama City. Some great places to RV near the beaches here if you get the oppertunity.

Welcome again Galen, we're looking forward to your posts.

Jim
Old 05-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
Radio
Administrator

Smile By the authority vested upon me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Well...I feel like the village idoit. Our call signs are not as stated. Mine is KF5BET and Abbi's is KF5BEW. Where the FT came from I haven't a clue..
Maybe you were looking at Yaesu radios and something stuck to your brain.

I shall assign you a penance to assuage you of your guilt...check in often, ask good questions and make good posts...and don't worry about it.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote