PDA

View Full Version : New Member, Checking in

W4DRR
12-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Thought I would sign-up, and drop by here and say hello. I heard about this site from N7OQ on Outbackers.com
As you can see from my signature line, I have been licensed since 1969. I was a mere pup of 15 back then. My current HF set-up is a Yaesu FT-840 into a 75/40 trap inverted vee @ 45', with an MFJ 901B "el cheapo" tuner to clean it up on 20, 15, and 10. (WARC bands won't tune without a lot of loss - not worth the effort)
I have moved around through the years, and have been active from the following QTH's (in reverse chronological order):
Canton, GA (Current QTH)
Cape Girardeau, MO
Hollister, CA
Hurricane, WV
Roanoke, VA
Lewisburg, WV
Sullivan, ME
Waialua, HI
Finegayan, GU
Alderson, WV (Where I started out as a Novice)

Also, in my signature line, you can see I have an Outback 23RS.
Both our kids have moved out now, so the DW and I are empty-nest campers.
Our son is an OS in the Navy. He is on staff with Commander Carrier Strike Group 9 (USS Abraham Lincoln, CVN72), in Everett, WA. Our daughter is married to a Navy guy, and is currently in Yokosuka, Japan. He is an EN on the USS Cowpens (CG63).

So again, just dropped by to say hello...

aintgotnun
12-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Welcome to ORR!

Tell your son and son in law Thank You for their service!

Ret8008
12-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Hello Bob, form one new guy to another. Haven't been here long, but seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks on board. See you on the forums or on the air. 73, Terry.

N7OQ
12-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi Bob glad to see you could make it and welcome aboard.

Bob and I have talked via Outbackers.net for the last year and a half and he is the most active ham on the Outbackers forum. We have tried to make a QSO on the air but to many miles between us and no sun spots. We both have Outback 23RS trailers (They only sell this model to the smartest people). I know we have confused a lot of the non hams on the other forum but surprisingly there is a good number of Ham on the forum so hope more will come over here too.

Radio
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Glad to have you here! We need more old experienced geezers like me and you to pass on the joys of the "Radio Arts" to the next generation!

Radio

aintgotnun
12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Glad to have you here! We need more old experienced geezers like me and you to pass on the joys of the "Radio Arts" to the next generation!

Radio

funny you should say "geezers"...............

He got his ticket in 1969

I was born in 1969 :D

Radio
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
funny you should say "geezers"...............

He got his ticket in 1969

I was born in 1969 :D

I turned 13 in '69...Neil Armstrong walked on the moon on my birthday. I don't remember what I got as a gift, my parents tradition was one really nice thing, like a bike or a guitar. But all I remember was sitting in front of the TV watching human history change forever.

And YOU are a YOUNG-UN!!

:)

aintgotnun
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
And YOU are a YOUNG-UN!!

why Thank You

jagco
12-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you.

Tell your son and son-in-law thank you for their service.

I have family in and near Cape Girardeau, MO. We'll be headed down that way some time over the holidays. When did you live there?

W4DRR
12-12-2007, 07:37 AM
I turned 13 in '69...Neil Armstrong walked on the moon on my birthday. I don't remember what I got as a gift, my parents tradition was one really nice thing, like a bike or a guitar. But all I remember was sitting in front of the TV watching human history change forever.

And YOU are a YOUNG-UN!!

That is interesting, because Neil Armstrong left for the moon on my birthday (7/16).

W4DRR
12-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you.

Tell your son and son-in-law thank you for their service.

I have family in and near Cape Girardeau, MO. We'll be headed down that way some time over the holidays. When did you live there?

We lived in Cape for only 2 years. January 2003 - January 2005.

Radio
12-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Really? How cool is that? I guess we're the MOON BROTHERS! :bounce:

I remember it was very late at night when they left the LEM. Mission control wanted them to take a "nap" first, as it had been a long day for the crew, but the flight surgeon said they were to excited to sleep and gave his blessing for the EVA. If they had napped, they would not have stepped onto the moon until 7/21 and I would have been one very disapointed little kid.

I do remember my grandmother making a pound cake and serving it up with vanilla ice cream....mmmmmmmmmmm!

N5IIG
12-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Welcome aboard ORR Bob. I like you have traveled all over in USAF. Seems like I remember Finegayan GU - was at Anderson AFB 74-76. Our middle son is a CT in Navy on USS Bainbridge (DDG96) in the Med Sea somewhere - he spent 4 years at Yokosuka earlier in his career. Looking forward to your input.

Seems like 69 was a good year for some of our younger members. I don't want to tell my age but I was 28 in 69 - sure hope that doesn't make me over the hill -:D :D :D:welcome:.....................Jim

W4DRR
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Welcome aboard ORR Bob. I like you have traveled all over in USAF. Seems like I remember Finegayan GU - was at Anderson AFB 74-76. Our middle son is a CT in Navy on USS Bainbridge (DDG96) in the Med Sea somewhere - he spent 4 years at Yokosuka earlier in his career. Looking forward to your input.

Seems like 69 was a good year for some of our younger members. I don't want to tell my age but I was 28 in 69 - sure hope that doesn't make me over the hill -:D :D :D:welcome:.....................Jim

I was a CT also. And yes, you have the right Finegayan. It was on the road to Anderson. I was there from 74-75.

Also, our daughter and son-in-law are currently living in Yokosuka.

N7OQ
12-12-2007, 06:56 PM

And YOU are a YOUNG-UN!!

Well I turned 15 in 69 and still think I'm Young but sometimes my body think other wise. What I really found weird was when I looked at my Son's History book it had the Astronauts landing on the moon, Now how can that be History when I remember it so well. :confused:

jagco
12-13-2007, 10:18 AM
I was 8 in 69, but still remember it well. I guess I'm younger than some of you, but with all my health problems, I feel very old :)