PDA

View Full Version : Chew on this

WD8QBQ
05-11-2012, 05:35 PM
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS AND WILL BURN YOUR BUT.

Click here: VW Passat 78.5 MPG in the Uk :fuss:

http://video.staged.com/localshops/vw_passat_785_mpg_in_the_uk

TXiceman
05-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Part of the issue is the fuel tax. That is easy to fix...up the fuel tax and force people to higher mileage vehicles.

The other part of the propbem is what is measured for emissions. The US measures NOX (nitrous oxides), The rest of the world does not use this form of a pollution index. When you have to reduce the NOX you have to decrease the compression efficiency...ie more fuel.

So it is a problem with the government, out stupid leaders and the EPA. The greenie wiennies have the American public so afraid of diesel fuel it is not funny.

Another issue is the refineries here are not set up to deal with the mix of fuel that is heavy toward the diesel end. The diesel is the first thing off the column and it is less expensive to make. So what do they do with all of the excess gasoline? See how the problem keep s getting worse.

ken

NN5I
05-12-2012, 09:31 PM
When you have to reduce the NOX you have to decrease the compression efficiency.

ken

Compression efficiency? What's that?

wa8yxm
05-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Regarding fuel tax... I remember some years ago a sticker on a gas pump. "You are paying 87¢ per gallon in fuel taxes. (NOTE this was SOME years ago)

I remember paying more like 30¢ per gallon,, TAX INCLUDED!!!