PDA

View Full Version : Amazon.com Phishing Scam

Radio
05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
OK, here's the deal. Crooks are looking to load up your computer with malware that steals passwords and other stuff.

The way the scam works is you get an official looking email from what appears to be amazon.com, regarding a cancellation of an order. What's clever about this scam is they never ask you for any personal information, just click on the link to confirm the cancellation. It all looks very real.

Here are the give aways:

1. The cancellation is for something you did not order. (well, duh?)

2. The IP address of any link includes verbiage ahead of amazon.com in the URL, such as 12.54.26.87.amazon.com or memberservice.amazon.com.

3. It is good practice anytime you have a link in an unsolicited email to mouse over that link so that the URL preview will appear in your email tool. (but you guys knew that right?)

The reason I'm posting this is we intend to open our own Amazon Affiliate Store here on ORR.net to assist in paying the cost of keeping the site running.

I guess you could say the store is open, and you can buy stuff there if you like. I'm just not done stocking it. Have a look here:

http://astore.amazon.com/operoaradsto-20

Andy N1ORK
05-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Nice job Wade! I'll remember to use that next time I order something. Do we get anything if we use the links on the side or do we get something only for the links on the ORR section?

Radio
05-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Nice job Wade! I'll remember to use that next time I order something. Do we get anything if we use the links on the side or do we get something only for the links on the ORR section?

We are rewarded when any purchase is made via our store, which does include "similar items" in the sidebar, plus anything you search for from our store page.

Once you enter amazon.com via the Open Roads Radio Store, we get credit for any purchases made. You might want to bookmark our store as your amazon.com portal.

And here's an interesting thing. Our percent of the "cut" goes up based on the number of items purchased in a month, not the dollar amount.

So since your going to buy blank tank treatment anyway, along with other stuff like water filters and fresh hoses, might as well get it here. I buy a lot of stuff like that on line anyway. Now I buy it here.

W5DOK
05-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Just ordered all my supplies for my upcoming trip. Would have probably bought them at the big store, but easier to just do it here. Thx Wade.
Doc

Radio
05-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Just ordered all my supplies for my upcoming trip. Would have probably bought them at the big store, but easier to just do it here. Thx Wade.
Doc

And thank you, Doc. I have more work to do on the store. Picking out stuff to go in there is fun...especially the toy department!

:thank:

Andy N1ORK
05-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Wade,
Maybe we should have a link to the ORR/Amazon on the main page.

Radio
05-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Wade,
Maybe we should have a link to the ORR/Amazon on the main page.

We will, as soon as I figure out how to paste the code into vBulletin.
:think:

One Country Boy
05-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Thank you for filling us in on all the info Wade. I'll be ordering as well through the Amazon Portal.

Speaking of the scams, they seem to be getting worse and worse.... As of recently I've been getting e-mails from scam artist portraying themselves as American Express. The html and graphics will fool you. These crooks do a good job. I naturally do not respond and get one or two a week. They even tell me how many times they have notified me that I need to update my information. I got an e-mail yesterday from the same scammers stating that they needed to verify a charge that was attempting to be made to my American Express. It seems a charge in excess of $4K was being charged. Now that got my attention !!! Then, all of a sudden I remembered.... H*ll, we don't have an American Express Card !!! When you hover over all the links and connections in the e-mail to make contact with these people, every link is the SAME. So no matter where you click, that malware is coming down the tubes to your computer.

Now I know I should not even be asking this, me being an old retired cop. But does anyone do anything about this crap? Who, if any do you report to? It looks as though an ISP, providing these crooks with service would like to rid themselves of their account.