PDA

View Full Version : More WWII trivia...

Radio
08-22-2012, 05:45 PM
OK, what do these two things have in common?

(24 hour rule please...)

NN5I
08-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Actually I know the answer to that; but there may be more than one answer.

KF5BET
08-22-2012, 10:38 PM
I do have an answer. Not sure if it's what you are looking for though.

NN5I
08-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Still more WW2 trivia --

The Battle of Midway, June 1942, was the turning point of the Pacific war. Of the five aircraft carriers sunk at Midway, one's captain was a radio ham. Which ship did he command? What was his name? What was his callsign?

I know the answers to all of these, except callsign. Being a student of the Pacific War, I've been trying to find out that callsign for decades. Anyone know? Anyone know the other answers?

Andy N1ORK
08-23-2012, 05:56 AM
I can't help you with answers Carl, but you should post your questions on QRZ.com. I would love to see if anyone knows the call sign.

NN5I
08-23-2012, 06:11 AM
The J-38 was manufactured my many companies during WW2. The Berkshire 2-8-4 steam locomotive was modeled by several companies. If the engine shown is a model, both items pictured could have been, and probably were, manufactured by Lionel Trains. Dunno whether that's the desired answer, though.

Radio
08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
both items pictured could have been, and probably were, manufactured by Lionel Trains. Dunno whether that's the desired answer, though.

That is in fact, the correct answer. The J-38 was made by Lionel as their part of the war effort, because it was made from the same materials as toy trains!

Here's proof:

I bet that's a Drake in the background. Wonder which one?

Question for you old timers (as I am only 56 and just been hamming for 31 years) What is the little eye hook on the left side of the for? I have a J-38 but the eye hook is missing. What was it's purpose?

NN5I
08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
It's interesting to see what companies, in WW2, made things outside their normal lines. Lionel made J-38 keys. Rock-Ola (a juke-box company) made the US Carbine, Cal. .30 M1 -- as did IBM, Saginaw Gear, and several others including Winchester.

NN5I
08-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Still more WW2 trivia --

The Battle of Midway, June 1942, was the turning point of the Pacific war. Of the five aircraft carriers sunk at Midway, one's captain was a radio ham. Which ship did he command? What was his name? What was his callsign?

I know the answers to all of these, except callsign. Being a student of the Pacific War, I've been trying to find out that callsign for decades. Anyone know? Anyone know the other answers?

Answers, the ones that I know anyway. Five carriers were sunk at Midway. Four of them Kaga, Akagi, Soryu, and Hiryu, were Japanese. The fifth one, Yorktown, was American, and her commander was Elliott Buckmaster, CAPT, USN. He survived. Buckmaster was a radio ham, and I've always wondered what his callsign was.

NN5I
08-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Question for you old timers (as I am only 56 and just been hamming for 31 years) What is the little eye hook on the left side of the for? I have a J-38 but the eye hook is missing. What was its purpose?

Ah, to be only 56 again!

My conjecture is that it was for a strain-relief. Most electrical cords in those days were cloth-covered, and it was common to bring the two wires (each individually cloth-covered) out the side of the overall cloth cover, leaving about a half foot of woven cloth tube hanging loose. Tying this to the little eyescrew would provide strain relief for the wires

But really I'm only guessing.

KF5BET
08-23-2012, 10:56 PM
I missed this one by a long shot....

I guess I am to young!

wa8yxm
08-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Nice,, the Lionel company (Makers of the model train) used to be in S.E. Michigan, then they moved to Mexico to save labor cost. Of course the quality of the product followed the labor cost (WENT WAY DOWN) Finally they gave up on Mexico as a bad idea and moved back to S.E. Michigan (one of the two locations was Clarkston as I recall).

Alas it was too little too late, the Mexican el-cheapo labor had done the damage, the company never recovered from the reputation hit they took and they wound up in bankruptcy.

now tell me what the connection is between that J-38 and and that annoying pink bunny that keeps going and going and going?

NN5I
03-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Answers, the ones that I know anyway. Five carriers were sunk at Midway. Four of them Kaga, Akagi, Soryu, and Hiryu, were Japanese. The fifth one, Yorktown, was American, and her commander was Elliott Buckmaster, CAPT, USN. He survived. Buckmaster was a radio ham, and I've always wondered what his callsign was.

Found it! Elliott Buckmaster's callsign was W6SNL.

Not only that, but:

General Curtis E LeMay was W6EZY.

Col. Paul W Tibbets (pilot of Enola Gay, the B-29 that dropped the A-Bomb on Hiroshima), was K4ZVZ. His radar countermeasures officer was Jacob Beser, W3NOD.

Lawson P "Red" Ramage (One of the bravest men who ever lived, earned Medal of Honor as Captain of submarine USS Parche) was KB3DE.

wa8yxm
03-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Here is a related question
What connection, if any, exists between Lionel Model Trains, and the Eveready battery?

NN5I
03-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Gotta be two connections. One for the positive terminal, and one for the negative.

wa8yxm
03-21-2017, 05:23 PM
The CEO and founder of the company (Lionel was his middle name) invented a device which consisted of a battery (one or more cells) and a light bulb, in a tubular holder with a switch... His intent was to "plant' them in planters to highlight the plants...

It did not do well so he basically gave it (sold it for very little) to one of his employees

Who founded the Everready Flashlight Company.. And manufactured the identical product as what we call a flashlight to this very day.

electricflyer
03-21-2017, 06:59 PM
probably would have worked if he hadn't kept watering the plants and causing a short.

Radio
03-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Lionel Toy Co. also mass produced thousands of J-38 telegraph keys for the WWII effort.

I think they may have been marked "Lionel" (not all J-38s were made by Lionel) but if you have one it might be worth a little money... little because so many were produced.

Radio
04-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Here you go. Finally found the pic. You know it's a Lionel because it says so on the box. :radio: