PDA

View Full Version : H F Submarine Antenna

k4qdb
12-18-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm looking for specs on what I'm told is a submarine antenna. My hope is to mount it on a tri-pod and use it as a portable HF antenna. It is a vertical whip type 12+ feet long. Any WWII submariners on frequency?

Thanks,
K4QDB

Richard Stouffer
12-18-2007, 08:53 AM
I think this might be what you are looking for.

http://www.hi-q-militaryantennas.com/

If it is and you buy from this guy I'll vouch for him. He is first rate and makes very high quality stuff.

Radio
12-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Is there a part number or other information on a plate that describes the antenna?

:welcome: to ORR.net by the way!

OK, ya'll be extra special nice to K4QDB, he works at the same place I do, so he actually knows what I look like...

:eek:

Radio

k4qdb
12-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I haven't found any markings yet and I tried that link but it was not found. I was told it should work 2 -30 MHz. And yes I even know where Radio parts his truck. If y'all see any more let me know I'll be hooking up to it soon and maybe talk to y'all on the air "sub-portable""trashcan portable" so I'm shorely it will be an improvement. Okay you guessed it, I was born in Alabama

Radio
12-18-2007, 03:28 PM
And yes I even know where Radio parks his truck.

Aye, matey! And a fine looking rig she be, too! :pirate:

N7OQ
12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I was thinking it looked like a really neat antenna until I saw the price, is $25K+ correct?? If so it is way out of my price range.

k4qdb
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I picked it up free so no idea.Radio and I work with satellite stuff so I picked up the satellite tripod free also. I guess that's what makes it even more of a challenge . The best antennas are free! But what can you expect from someone who is currently working trashcan portable as I meant to say before. I hope to fire it up over the Holidays if I can find a connector big enough to attach to the water hose size feed line.

I'm still looking for any input anyone may have on this project.

Happy Holidays,
K4QDB

TXiceman
12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
The XYL would hit the ceiling if I bought one of those HIGH $$$$ antennas.

Ken

wa8yxm
12-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I took a look at them too.. 23,000 for an antenna..

I'm going to run right out and keep on running!!!!!!!!!

w6pea
12-23-2007, 11:30 PM
I had one of the over priced antenna's from Hi-Q.
Not that model. Waisted $650.00 Even had him install it.

What a piece of junk!

I will say no more but look at e-ham for my review.

wa8yxm
12-24-2007, 07:42 AM
So it looks like paying 23,000 for an antenna is not such a bargain eh?

Or as I often say... One should run right out and keep on running

w6pea
12-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I had one of the over priced antenna's from Hi-Q.
Not that model. Waisted $650.00 Even had him install it.

What a piece of junk!

I will say no more but look at e-ham for my review.

When I was dealing with this guy he demanded that, I return the antenna to him without a refund!
He also said because I was only a Tech.
"I did not even,deserve to own one of his Antennas!"

I wonder now that I am an extra.....would I ge allowed to own one now?:eek:

wa8yxm
12-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Gee... I was "Just a Tech" for 38 years... Now.. I've got my "E" Ticket :D

At his prices this Extra is not going to be buying from him but thanks for giving me yet another reason to avoid him.

I hope he reads this thread.

Technicians are allowed to use the old Novice bands, that includes 80, 40, 15 IIRC

w6pea
01-16-2008, 12:18 AM
When I was dealing with this guy he demanded that, I return the antenna to him without a refund!
He also said because I was only a Tech.
"I did not even,deserve to own one of his Antennas!"

I wonder now that I am an extra.....would I ge allowed to own one now?:eek:

Also he does this out of his garage.....:think:

radiow6lar
01-18-2008, 12:06 PM
One of our club members has one of the Hi-Q jobs on his new VW beetle. Swares by it but we all know better! :bleh: He also runs an Ameritron SS amp in his VW. He talks to the same people I do with my 100W. Go figure.

Yeh I've heard the same thing. This guy is a freek and thinks he's you know who's gift to screwdriver antennas.

w7wv
01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Without a pix it's hard to tell but even the fast attacks that I last worked on as an electronics mechanic prior to retirement from Civil Service had a whip they could clamp on if they wanted to use it.
I don't think they used it much and it was fed by a tuner needless to say.
I did not think they were 12' but they could have been.

w6pea
01-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeh I've heard the same thing. This guy is a freek and thinks he's you know who's gift to screwdriver antennas.

You took the words right out of my mouth.:think:

Radio
01-19-2008, 05:57 PM
So...back to the original post...if we could get a picture of this thing then we might could help out. Anybody ever serve on a sub and can speak to HF antennas?

Radio

w6pea
01-19-2008, 06:01 PM
So...back to the original post...if we could get a picture of this thing then we might could help out. Anybody ever serve on a sub and can speak to HF antennas?

Radio

I'm too clostrafobic. I also like to sleep with th window open at night.:eek: