PDA

View Full Version : Cookin' with fire, foil and Dutch ovens.

McKannick
12-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, count on our boy scouts to figger a way to make great chow with a campfire and basic implements like a good ol' Dutch oven.

Here's the link to about 500 recipes [URL="http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/index.cfm"[/URL]
:redtent:

KF5BET
12-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Will definitely have to check that one out.

I have used the Disney Camping Forum recipes before. Pretty good stuff.

If I haven't said it before....Welcome aboard!

wa8yxm
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Well, count on our boy scouts to figger a way to make great chow with a campfire and basic implements like a good ol' Dutch oven.

Here's the link to about 500 recipes http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/index.cfm
:redtent:

I edited the URL you put in Deleted the quotes and changed the equals sign to a right bracket. Thus making it a valid link.. I hope.

Radio
12-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Computers are so unforgiving, drop one little "]" and it all goes kaput.

When I was at AT&T, me and another fellow spent 2 days looking for a "e" that should have been an "E"...

Mr. Ham
09-05-2014, 08:34 AM
A friend of mine that was a Boy Scout in the late 60's - early 70's once made me baked chicken, wrapped in tin foil, that used vinegar salad dressing and onions, it was to die for good!

They went one year to a Jamboree someplace out west and I don't think they spent much time cooking.
From the stories that he told, about having to count the number of tents in a row to find your tent - out of a thousand tents and all the shenanigans they got into, I think they spent more time being kids then anything else...

W7JZE
09-06-2014, 07:34 AM
MMmmm... Good stuff. Thank you for the link.

I remember when Boy Scout camping, making something like the Hobo Dinner in the link.

Except there were lots of onions in it too.

Ground beef, onions, chunked 'taters, carrots, some butter and salt pepper. Wrap (double wrap?) in tinfoil and throw it in the campfire for about 10 minutes. Poke it with a stick a few times to turn it over and cook another 10 minutes, or so...

Good, hot (somewhat greasy = better :-) food out under the stars with zero clean up.

Good Scouting memories.

Now-a-days I'd add an ice cold beer and call it "Fine-Dinning"! :jitter: