PDA

View Full Version : Icom radio repair

N8CXX
12-07-2012, 08:39 AM
My icom 751A has died. It no longer has any output power. I called SARTS inc in Michigan. They no longer service this transceiver as its too old and Icom no longer has parts.

Soooo any recommendations / ideas on who to turn to? I'm in the Detroit area.

Thanks.

Radio
12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I hate to junk a radio. It's like betraying an old friend. But alas, I have sent an Azden 3000 and a couple of Kenwood HT's to where ever it is that radios go when they die.

My first 2m radio was a Wilson 800. It quit 25 years ago. I still have it.

W5DOK
12-07-2012, 04:26 PM
There was a guy in Dallas that repaired old Icoms (or any other radio). I don't have his name, but if you contact Richard Lenoir at 903-737-0773, he can give you the contact info. No point in chunking a perfectly good Icom when all it needs is new finals.
Doc

wa8yxm
12-08-2012, 10:49 AM
I can not help you with service recommendaitons but I can tell you a few folks who are big on ICOM

K9EID (that's Bob Heil)
Gordon West
George Thomas (www.amateurlogic.tv)
And Leo Laport (though he is too new to have needed service on his Icoms) (twit.tv)

These folks are all involved with an internet tv show,, twit.tv/hn ham nation.

KF5BET
12-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I had my old 750 repaired by Scott Malcom. He did an outstanding job. He and I talked through email several times before I sent him the rig and he had it back to me within a couple of weeks and was very reasonable. He is an old Icom tech.

www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts

Good luck with the rig.

K4EAK
12-10-2012, 06:30 AM
My icom 751A has died. It no longer has any output power. I called SARTS inc in Michigan. They no longer service this transceiver as its too old and Icom no longer has parts. Soooo any recommendations / ideas on who to turn to? I'm in the Detroit area. Thanks.

Not in the Detroit area, but I used Milton Lord ("the Radio Doctor") to do repairs/upgrades on one of my older Icoms and he did a great job at reasonable cost. If shipment to and fro is not a problem for you, you might check with him. His website is here: http://n4da.com/ (http://n4da.com) , phone: (770) 966-1166, and e-mail [email protected].

Hope that helps,
73 Skip K4EAK