PDA

View Full Version : Congaree National Forest, been there?

Radio
03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
My son is a civil engineer in Columbia, SC, and he's been going on about the Congaree National Forest just south of there, "Where the trees have knees"

I would annoy him personally for RV camping details but he's a might busy.

So anybody here have first (or 2nd) hand knowledge of what makes for good RV camping around those parts?

We'll be there in June or July. Yes, I know about the heat and the gnats but I'm married to a school teacher and we go when she can go and that's that.

Radio
03-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Hmmm? Might want to stay near Lexington, on Lake Murray. Ideas?

NN5I
03-25-2013, 08:26 PM
... I'm married to a school teacher and we go when she can go ...

Well, you could always argue about as follows (based on the Fayetteville populatin of about 16,000) --

Sweetheart, camping is one of the neatest hobbies in the world. Ham Radio, too, is another. Do them together, and surely there aren't even twenty hobbies that much fun in all the world. Maybe not even five.

But, sweetheart, just right here in Fayetteville there are over five thousand women.

TimeToGetGoing
03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
It maybe too far from where you want to be, but we stayed on the other side, near Lake Santee. Santee Lakes Campground was a very nice place to stay.

On Sunday after church we ate at the Lonestar BBQ & Mercantile for their BBQ Buffet. Great pies too.

Bob
KK4PHN

Radio
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
:hisign:

First off, Bob, welcome to ORR.net. Jump right in and join the fray.

Santee Lakes Campground looks nice, even though I usually prefer state parks. As we would be staying for about a week, though, having a sewer connection as an option might be nice. Do you recall what the rates were?

That looks like a spot with plenty of amenities. And it's not too far from Congaree NF.
Thanks for the heads up.

TimeToGetGoing
04-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Sorry for the delay in my reply. Work has been crazy, plus I did the taxes last night. :hammer:

I want to say the rate was about $30/night...but that was for one night. I think a week has a lower rate.

I had a full hookup and had no problem getting parked in the dark.