PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

_L7
12-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Howdy,

Ed - N6LZR signing on.

I saw this link from a member on an RV website. Really great idea combining ham radio with RVing in a web forum.

I am within two years of retirement and still weighing the pros and cons of full timing in our Rv.

I was originally licensed as WN6NRD ("nerd") :) and currently hold an advanced class license. I guess I need to upgrade to extra somtime.

I just recently worked on getting a TS2000 installed in the RV but haven't come up with an antenna system that works, yet.

Anyway, howdy everyone.

Ret8008
12-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Hello Ed. Good to have you aboard. Relatively new here myself. Been full timing now for 8 years. Ham radio and RVing work very together. I am currently in Monroe, LA at a National Wildlife Refuge. Soon to move to TX for a few months. See you on the bands or on the road. 73 Terry, WB6N

Radio
12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Welcome aboard! :hello:

Glad to have you here! I like the "nerd" call. I used to be N4FIG. After about 20 years I got tired of being "Mr. Figgy" but I still have a N4FIG license plate up on the shack wall.

Again...welcome aboard!

Radio

_L7
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Terry,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm curious what you full time in. We currently have an 03 Kountry Star MH but it is only 34' so I am thinking of upgrading to a 40' after I retire (if we decide to go full time). Also, what does the "8008" in your screen name indicate? (Just curious).

Radio,

Thanks for the welcome. I have kicked around the idea of trying to get the "nerd" (NRD) call with one of the prefixes (K, W, WA, WB, etc) instead of my current call LZR - "Loser". :)

Anyway, great idea (RVing and Ham Radio). Hope to enjoy the forum! Is there an HF sked for the forum?

N7OQ
12-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the group Ed, glad to have you on board. I see you are from Murphys, CA, nicw town, I was stationed with a guy from there and I spent a weekend there and really enjoyed the area.

w6pea
12-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Welcome to the forum.....i'm new here also.
73 dew6pea

Ret8008
12-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Ed,
In response to your question, I have a 39' Teton and a Freightliner MDT.

_L7
01-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Welcome to the group Ed, glad to have you on board. I see you are from Murphys, CA, nicw town, I was stationed with a guy from there and I spent a weekend there and really enjoyed the area.

Thanks for the welcome. Murphys used to be a sleepy little town. Unfortunately, with all the wineries and golf courses it is becoming very popular and more crowded. It still beats living in a metropolitan area though.

_L7
01-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Welcome to the forum.....i'm new here also.
73 dew6pea

Welcome to you then also sir!!

_L7
01-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Ed,
In response to your question, I have a 39' Teton and a Freightliner MDT.

I was real close to going with an MDT and upgrading our 31' Sunnybrook to something bigger. I was out voted! :D:eek:

Ret8008
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Actually, I worked up to this over the years. Wife wanted to start out with the MDT. Keep asking for a recount on the vote.

_L7
01-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Actually, I worked up to this over the years. Wife wanted to start out with the MDT. Keep asking for a recount on the vote.

It's too late for the recount...we ended up getting a MH! :eek: Now she is already talking about upgrading to a bigger one with more slides, when she retires!! (I'm on the bandwagon also).

An MDT or HDT would have been fun driving and pulling a bigger 5th wheel but for now it does not look likely to happen.

:cool:

Ed