PDA

View Full Version : Dog as compass.

Radio
01-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Well, this explains any number of things.

1. The real reason they are called pointers.
2. Why fire hydrants are round (as in 360 degrees)
3. How dogs find their way home from 1000s of miles away.
4. Why every dog in the neighborhood likes my mailbox (the street runs due north)

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/01/04/study-dogs-relieve-themselves-in-line-with-earths-magnetic-field/

But no one ever cleaned up after a compass.

We are currently dogless. Those of you who have such a beast may want to make the observation.

:dog:

N3LYT
01-06-2014, 07:06 AM
We have two Great Danes and live in the woods I don't even know where there is a hydrant the only way other dogs show up here is if some one brought them! And the bottom line in our observations Great Danes are not dogs so I guess we can't be of any help!

W7JZE
05-02-2014, 12:37 AM
We have a cute little Bichon doggie. Love that doggie! She weighs about 10 or 11 pounds. Her name is "Snack" for the above poster's two Great Danes :jitter:.

In her little fenced area of the backyard it "seems" like this magnetic orientation might be true. I'll watch a little more closely over the next few weeks and see if actual observation aligns with my sometimes faulty memory.

Hope the neighbors don't wonder why I'm watching the dog do her deal. They already think I'm weird when I halyard up my dipoles on the weekend :D.
Now they'll KNOW for SURE :bounce:!

wa8yxm
05-02-2014, 07:01 AM
We have two Great Danes and live in the woods I don't even know where there is a hydrant the only way other dogs show up here is if some one brought them! And the bottom line in our observations Great Danes are not dogs so I guess we can't be of any help!

Neighbor of my dad's had a Great Dane (Duke of course), and when we drove some sheep back home they invited us in for coffee and cookies.. Now I'm a good size boy, about 6'3 standing at the time (bit shorter now) and Duke came up, eye to eye with me as I sat at the table, and wanted a cookie... He got one too.

NN5I
05-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Me, I'll just use a compass. Cleaner, quieter, much less obnoxious than even the least unpleasant dog.