PDA

View Full Version : Air mattress pump

Radio
12-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Radio goes shopping!

I was wondering around Dick's Sporting Goods (Which has a tiny camping department. The gun and hunting section much better) when I came across this battery powered air mattress pump. Only $15.

So I grabbed one up.

Most air pumps like this require a 12 vcd cigarette lighter outlet making them useless for the RV since there are no 12 vdc outlets available. However, if 4 D cell batteries can deliver, this may be just the ticket to inflating the Forest River style air-bed-in-the-couch whilst out boondocking.

Getting Sweet Wife into boondock mode just got a little easier.

NN5I
12-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Most air pumps like this require a 12 vcd cigarette lighter outlet making them useless ...

But can't radio hams install whatever connectors they prefer?

wa8yxm
12-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Not sure how long that 4D box will last but since it is six volt .. well, if you need converting 12 into six is kind of easy.

Radio
12-13-2014, 09:05 PM
But can't radio hams install whatever connectors they prefer?

They could, and this one did install one 12vdc cigarette lighter style outlet in the bedroom for running the weather radio while towing the trailer. Got tired of replacing 9 volt batteries every time I moved some where.

It would also run a TV or whatever else I plugged in there. I might (or might not) install a direct to batteries line in the entertainment center which is right next to the couch/bed.

But anyway, this thing should pump up the mattress just fine.

NN5I
12-14-2014, 10:18 AM
One of the first things I did to the motor home was to install through-bulkhead Anderson PowerPoles in various places. Much more compact than lighter sockets. Now, whenever something comes with a lighter plug, I cut it off and install PowerPoles.

N3LYT
12-14-2014, 04:52 PM
You beat me to it I just could not imagine why the pump would not come with power poles! By the way we have an air mattress that has a built in pump the uses "D" cells.

Radio
12-14-2014, 07:27 PM
By the way we have an air mattress that has a built in pump the uses "D" cells.

Are you happy with it? Does it get the mattress tight? We don't like the air mattress to be too squishy.

NN5I
12-14-2014, 10:57 PM
We don't like the air mattress to be too squishy.

About 450 psi ought to be about right --

N3LYT
12-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Yeah it's will get it pretty tight if you let it run long enough. I use memory foam pads on my camper beds they work great for me.

N3LYT
12-15-2014, 09:15 AM
About 450 psi ought to be about right --

Hard call it seems like that should be tight enough but it's best to know when to stop and better not to sit on it during inflation until you get it right.

NN5I
12-15-2014, 12:29 PM
450 psi would be right for me, that is ... well, I've lost a little weight ... maybe 400 psi now.