PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this?

NN5I
04-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Can any of you identify this? Very interesting place. Not much to do with RVing or ham radio though.

24 hour rule.

Radio
04-11-2015, 08:52 AM
I've seen someplace like that before...

wa8yxm
04-11-2015, 10:38 AM
That looks very much like a Fire Department Dispatch Desk save for the multiple clocks.

Could be a news (network) Dispatch center.. Radio,, Controls,,Clocks around the world...FD Telegraph (Local) or a military command dispatch center.

ke0me
04-11-2015, 11:40 AM
the round dials on the wall look more like meters, and most are pointing near vertical, I'm guessing that's normal.

I'll guess something to do with power generation or distribution.

NN5I
04-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Hint: it was manned by Manhattanites.

W7JZE
04-11-2015, 10:54 PM

Are you sure it wasn't "manned" (more accurately; attended) by the Krell? :D

The meters give it away :D

wa8yxm
04-12-2015, 05:45 AM

Manhattan Project Ites.

Nuclear Reactor Control panel Early one at that.

NN5I
04-12-2015, 07:25 AM
Manhattan Project Ites is right. It's the control room of B Reactor at the Hanford, Washington site of the Manhattan Project.

B reactor was the first fully functioning nuclear reactor ever built. It began producing plutonium in September 1944. Its core was a 36-foot-high, 36-foot-long, and 28-foot-wide graphite block with 2,004 water-cooled aluminum tubes running through it. Uranium slugs placed in the tubes started a chain reaction that created small amounts of plutonium.

That plutonium was was used in the July 1945 Trinity test (the first manmade nuclear explosion) at Alamogordo NM, and in the Fat Man bomb dropped on Nagasaki on August 9. The Little Boy bomb at Hiroshima three days earlier used uranium, not plutonium, and was a simpler design.

B reactor was shut down permanently in 1968; last December (4 months ago) it became part of the new Manhattan Project National Historical Park, which also includes sites at Oak Ridge and Los Alamos. B reactor is apparently open for tours!

Learn more at B Reactor (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hanford+b+reactor&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=zWQqVYvHJ4GkNoy-hOgP&ved=0CCwQsAQ&tbm=isch) and DOE -- B Reactor Tours (http://www.hanford.gov/page.cfm/BReactor) and by Googling Hanford B Reactor.

N3LYT
04-13-2015, 06:33 PM
My father was involved in the Manhattan Project all though he did not know it. He was an engineer at Westinghouse designing induction heating systems they made tubing that was small enough a needle would just fit inside he brought home a small bundle of them I may even have one or two around somewhere. Many years later he found out what they were made for.

NN5I
04-13-2015, 09:24 PM
My father was involved in the Manhattan Project although he did not know it. He was an engineer at Westinghouse designing induction heating systems. They made tubing that was small enough a needle would just fit inside. He brought home a small bundle of them; I may even have one or two around somewhere. Many years later he found out what they were made for.

Well, what were they made for?

N3LYT
04-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Not a clue. They just made them and shipped them. He was never told what they were for.

electricflyer
04-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Doesn't look anything like the control room of the Cooper Nuclear power station at Brownsville, Ne. I worked for a company that was doing instrument calibration during startup. It was a 810MW single turbine GE BWR unit. I was never concerned about radiation, I was more concerned about the 1,000 degree steam at 1000psi that was blowing through the pipes. It came on line in 1974.

N4MU Papi
04-29-2015, 12:20 PM
That's the Starship Enterprise...before they went digital.
de N4MU

NN5I
04-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Doesn't look anything like the control room of the Cooper Nuclear power station at Brownsville, Ne. I worked for a company that was doing instrument calibration during startup. It was a 810MW single turbine GE BWR unit. I was never concerned about radiation, I was more concerned about the 1,000 degree steam at 1000psi that was blowing through the pipes. It came on line in 1974.

Well, they have steam in steamships, too. At least you didn't get seasick.